market-farming - Re: [USCC] Low cost compost screener

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Frank Teuton" <frank.teuton AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: <compost AT compostingcouncil.org>
  • Cc: <provfarm AT netunlimited.net>, "Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group" <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, <COMPOSTING AT JISCMAIL.AC.UK>, <gevanylo AT vt.edu>, <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <compost AT lyris.cahe.wsu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [USCC] Low cost compost screener
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:01:18 -0500

Hi Greg and Carl,

Interesting concept, guys. However, methinks you are reinventing the wheel.

Small screeners with this kind of throughput already exist and can be
purchased, for example, from vermiculturists, such as Kazarie Worm Farm,
Rainbow Worm Farm. and Vermico.

www.kazarie.com

www.rainbowwormfarm.com

www.vermico.com

DIY buffs with a one site operation can also turn to Leon's Big Sifter for
ideas, see the Master Composter site run by Mary Tynes,
www.mastercomposter.com

http://www.mastercomposter.com/leon/leonsift.html

Small scale operators who don't want to invest yet in a $1,000+ sifting
apparatus can always turn to various smaller size sifters, from the
venerable A-frame to my own little creation, the Cantopper. These tools can
enable someone with more labor than capital to get started, then shift to
bigger and motorized machinery as it becomes justified.

See http://www.mastercomposter.com/equip/sifters.html

Looking at the website, I have the following observations about this
contraption. Compared to a worm trommel, this thing seems to have no output
port, so that you load, sift, and then offload the rejects periodically.
That seems awkward to me. A smaller, slower revolving system that could flow
steadily would seem to me more efficient, and perhaps also more gentle on
the compost foodweb organisms---it looks to me like the speed of this thing
would do some harm to a fair number of valuable foodweb community members,
from the video clip.

Secondly, the worm trommels allow a fast change of screen sizes; this device
seems unwieldy in this regard, also.

I do have another idea to offer. Satellite Screens, Inc, made a run of
small garden size versions of their satellite screen concept, which is now
offered in the large version by Fecon http://www.fecon.com/satellite.html
This concept can accept moist materials, and run at a reasonable speed,
would be friendly even to worms, and it would seem to me, could easily be
adapted to a PTO system, at the right scale, and would be in the same price
range as the one you made with greater capacity and flow.

That would be an interesting investigation for an appropriate screening
technology, for the small market farmer/gardener. To be worthwhile, it would
have to be significantly faster or easier to work with, or less expensive
than, or more sturdy than, existing commercial small scale screening
technologies, mentioned above.

Good composting,

Frank Teuton