market-farming - RE: farmer's market move

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glenn Oshiro" <glenn AT smallfarms.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: farmer's market move
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:14:32 -1000

How much customer traffic is generated by the mall? How much comes from
people seeing a farmer's market from the street, and stopping because of the
farmer/vendors? What do the mall managers hope to accomplish by moving you
inside?

Push the idea that you're an attraction for the mall; that you build
customer traffic; and that passers by love seeing the activity of a farmer's
market. Setting up inside the mall sounds clumsy, inconvenient to customers
and farmers alike. Then, would having fresh produce stop customers from
going into some shops out of concern for bruising produce, staining retail
merchandise, and so on? Wouldn't you create a clean up problem inside the
mall? Would all fifty farmers do the set up for such a short period (two
hours) or might some of them drop out? You say this is one of your best
markets. Relate this to the managers and remind them that the current
formula works well for you.

Glenn
Buy from the Farmer
http://smallfarms.com