market-farming - Re: Pollen Drift and Corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sudoa Farm <awarren AT jetstream.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pollen Drift and Corn
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:32:40 -0800

Hi Del,
my tongue was well into my cheek when I suggested buffering corn from GM
pollen. I think
the Soil Association in Britian is considering a 5 mile buffer for
certified organic corn.
With the winds and bee activity round here I can see how at least a 2
mile buffer would benecessary.

Del Williams wrote:

> I read an opinion on the pollen drift issue early last summer in a flier I
> picked up at the University of Illinois extension. It was the opinion of a
> Crop Science Prof. Nafziger (sp?) who indicated that pollen drift from GMO
> corn would not be contained by perimeter plantings of non-GMO corn. In
> other words, the buffer plantings won't work because pollen drift ranges
> much farther than the recommendations suggest for containment.
>
> I still have the flier but no scanner. If you want more details from the
> flier I'll find a way to upload it.
>
> Del Williams
> Farmer in the Del
> Clifton IL
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: awarren AT jetstream.net
> To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • Pollen Drift and Corn, Del Williams, 10/16/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Pollen Drift and Corn, Sudoa Farm, 10/29/2000