market-farming - Re: [Lowering pH]

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Lowering pH]
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:44:24 -0400

David,
If you are trying to raise your pH levels then you should back off on
applying compost, peat moss or anything of that nature as these amendments
will produce H+ ions and make the soil more acid.

I would strongly urge you to take a soil sample for testing first, before
applying anything else at this time. The lime you are adding is it a high
Calcium lime or dolomite? Dolomite reacts more slowing as well as supplies
Magnesium. But, does your soil need Magnesium? A complete soil test will
tell you this.

I offer free soil sample kits. If you are interested or have questions on
testing, please feel free to send me a private email.

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting
Lowville, NY. 13367

pegcook AT northnet.org