market-farming - Re: Horse manure as a fertilizer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Horse manure as a fertilizer
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:48:19 EDT

Peg,

Is it necessary to add rock dusts to compost to insure adequate P and K in
clay soils? We have assumed, and our soil tests indicate, that P and K are
there in sufficient supply since ours is clayey glacial till. So we just
work on getting a good green and brown balance in the compost to break down
to nice tilthy texture. Are we missing something here that doesn't show up
on lab soil tests?

Bob Gregson
Island Meadow Farm
Vashon Island, WA