market-farming - Re: Tied Garlic Braids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue Oberle <soberle AT bwn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tied Garlic Braids
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:22:06 -0600

I've got a crop of hard-necked garlic that I'd like to get into braids.
I understand that this is relatively easy by using a tied approach
rather than weaving the stems.

Is anyone on the list doing this? Can you give me some pointers, or
point me to a 'how-to'?

Thanks

-Allan Balliett

Allan,

I have a neighbor who makes the best garlic braids for market. I don't think there's any substitute for braiding, it just looks great. He can do his big ones (11-15 bulbs) in less than a minute....but here's his biggest "secret". Prior to braiding, he soaks the leaves in fabric softner overnight.  They become nice & pliable & don't fray over time. Really works.

--
Sue Oberle
Oberle Botanical