market-farming - Information Fact Sheet/Biodynamic Trademark

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: bdnow AT envirolink.org, sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu, srcosmos AT interx.net, indrual AT bigpond.com, fred AT acresusa.com, igg AT igg.com, agdoc AT email.msn.com, amangan AT got.net, ana07968 AT nifty.com, bbumbarg AT haverford.edu, christine AT lilipoh.com, joffedaron AT aol.com, davbrad AT aol.com, org-grow AT pd.org, gilrob AT dove.net.ua, romerog AT col1.telmex.net.mx, vanilla AT racsa.co.cr, Thomson AT extra.co.nz, jgwri AT hotmail.com, wribluehill AT hotmail.com, jerrywhn AT fallsnet.com, dowser AT mindspring.com, lbarnes AT primeline.com, villager AT netrover.com, marksh AT organicvalley.com, fragfarm AT aol.com, market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, info AT merkabah.com, nealbas AT yahoo.com, pproctor AT inhb.co.nz, mdav AT virginia.edu, birdnest AT alltel.net, steved AT ncatark.uart.edu, sbruno75 AT aol.com, ward AT onthenet.com.au, wess105 AT flash.net
  • Subject: Information Fact Sheet/Biodynamic Trademark
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:04:13 -0400

Dear BDnow and Sanet readers,

Here is an excerpt from a post concerning the biodynamic trademark
discussion that provoked comment from Allan Balliett and Woody Wodraska

Demeter wrote:

>V. Proper venue for comment
> Remarks thrown out on the internet even though addressed to particular
>people or organizations are not considered to be in a proper context to
>elicit comment. If comment is desired, please address your remarks to
>the appropriate organization and deliver via mail, fax or private
>email. An assurance that replies will not be posted on the internet is
>required. In many respects, the internet, though extremely useful,
>operates outside the bounds of propriety. There is not the personnel
>time available to engage in this forum.

The above passage evoked comment by Allan Balliet and Woody Wodraska and
perhaps deserves comment by me as well since I am intimately involved.

Though the original post was not signed, as Allan pointed out, it
originated from demeter AT baldcom.net, which presumably is Anne Mendenhall.
In any event I responded to her that I was relieved that she was
communicating this time on the issue of the use of the term biodynamic. We
really need her in the discussion since Demeter, which she leads, possesses
the trademark on the term biodynamic.

It is not hopeful, however, that she shies away from a public forum such as
BDnow nor that she tries to shame me for unfolding this affair in public. I
don't buy into the shame, however, so no loss there. Nor do I buy the
proposition that a stir such as this one, precipitated by Greg Willis, is
something we don't need. I do not think the Creator gives us anything we
don't need and the question really is what are we supposed to do with this?
You know, a batter who thinks he doesn't need a left-handed curve ball is
hardly going to be much use in whacking it over the outfield fence and
winning the ballgame. So let's see what can be done with this. We could hit
a home run.

Allan has brought up once again the question of maybe we should find
another term to refer to the regenerative method of agriculture we all know
presently as biodynamic. I disagree as it has taken 75 years to get this
term as far as it has come in the public awareness. Clearly it is the
Demeter Association's position to sit in judgment on those who use the
term. And Demeter international has much the same agenda it seems. Greg is
using the term as Agri-Synthesis certified biodynamic and Demeter is
proposing that he can only use it as Agri-Synthesis certified modified
biodynamic. Those who are acquainted with advertising and PR will see right
away that putting "modified" on a label is the kiss of death to a product
and Greg will never agree to such a thing. And anyway, Greg has an
absolutely superior stirring technique, he is using horn clay and he trains
his growers to do whatever they have to to get the preps working from the
very beginning in their vinyards. Demeter requires a minimum of one
application of the BD preps per year for a minimum of three years and there
is no real quality control that determines if the preps are working rightly
even then. Greg has spent nearly two decades developing his clairvoyant
perception of energy in nature and he can tell immediately when the preps
are working or if something is missing or out of balance. So his
certification--and this is hard for Demeter to believe I'm sure, but it's
true--is more rigorous than Demeter's. What really pushes Demeter's
buttons, however, is that Greg is often able to certify growers in one year
at a higher level of biodynamic than Demeter accomplishes in three years or
even ten. So there is no meeting of the minds on the technical issues to
say nothing of the political ones. Demeter wants to use their trademark
against Greg and that is sure going to end up in court with Demeter having
big legal bills along with getting their trademark taken away no matter
what it costs Greg.

Greg has a biodynamic cure for Pierce's Disease, which threatens the whole
California wine industry. No one else has a cure. Greg's cure is to convert
to biodynamic, but it has to be Greg's high level biodynamic because hit
and miss biodynamics isn't enough to address the causes and remedy the
problem. Greg DOES NOT want the "modified" label and if he gets the
business of curing California's Pierce's Disease he is going to have so
many millions at his disposal his team of lawyers will eat Demeter from
rectum to snout and there won't be anything left. It will be a epic saga to
watch unfold, that's for sure. And you heard about it first on BDnow and
Sanet!

Well, we'll see. But maybe it does not have to come to the point of lawyers
making scads of money off of this. For my own part I have discovered how to
grow corn as a soil improvement crop with no inputs other than field
broadcasting the full array of BD Preps including Greg's horn clay. I'm
talking about 200 bushel to the acre and maybe even 300 bushel to the acre
corn yields of the highest quality. The horn clay, along with field
broadcasting has proven the key to everything and if you don't believe it
come to my conference on Labor Day weekend and look at my corn. When the
farmers in the corn belt learn how to do this BD corn of the highest
quality will be grown without fertilizer while building up the organic
content of the soil, and the chemical companies will be finished. Really
corn is just the leader and this is possible with almost every kind of crop.

I'm going to make it clear this is biodynamics at its best. I may have to
explain this is not the biodynamics one would learn if one went to the
Demeter Association and endeavored to follow their guidelines, but I fully
intend to call it biodynamic. It has all the roots and history of
biodynamics behind it and it gets to the basic issues of biodynamics much
better than the Demeter guidelines do. And it does not require any three
year wait to become biodynamic. With my field broadcasters I can really get
the BD preps working fast and like Greg I can tell when they are working
and when they are not. My co-worker, Lorraine Cahill, can tell. We can
teach farmers how to tell. Demeter needs to pay attention and catch up. I'd
personally be happy to teach anyone how to tell. I don't hold onto shame,
blame and regret and if Anne Mendenhall wants to know anything I know I'll
be happy to share.

Originally Hugh Courtney discovered how to restore normal rainfall by
sequential spraying of the BD preps, but at this point Lorraine and I have
taken this to a much more sophisticated art in making rain. Biodynamic
rainmaking. It's a reality. It is immanently do able. Demeter will be hard
pressed to stop every Tom, Dick and Harry from calling it biodynamic rather
than Union Agricultural Institute modified biodynamic which I refuse to buy
into for the same reasons as Greg does with Agri-Synthesis modified
biodynamic. It is the kiss of death in the advertising and PR field. It is
really out of Demeter's control already, but they still own the trademark
at present. If they choose to enforce it they are in for a bloody battle
especially if I can find out how to turn my knowledge of growing corn and
making rain into money. Then I'll have plenty of funds to fight for the
free use of the term biodynamic in court.

Greg and I have modified biodynamic all right. We went back to the basics
and made biodynamic work at the level it is capable of instead of some
watered down ritualism. There's no way we should have to put the word
modified on our labels. But if Demeter wants to look at what we are doing
and bring what they are doing up to our speed I for one will be happy to
help them. And even if they don't I don't have a problem with their use of
the term biodynamic. The rub is that they have a problem with my use of the
term. Shucks.

I'm personally of the opinion that if this discussion was NOT in a public
forum like BDnow and SANET that I would not have heard back from Demeter at
all. Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I apologise for my lack of faith, but I
still think publicity is what we need, not secrecy. So I'm not sorry for
making things public. The more public the better as far as I can see.

Greg is turning over negotiations on this to an officer of his corporation.
His stock price went from $5 to $10 a share (not on the NYSE yet) as of
friday. In another year it could be over $100 a share and climbing. He's
got to concentrate on Pierce's Disease and leave these trademark
negotiations up to folks far better at them than he is.

The negotiations will be carried out without the details posted to this
list. They HAVE to be because realistically it is impossible for people to
lay their cards on the table and change their positions unless they feel
utterly safe in laying themselves bare.

I hope to post an occasional summary. And we will see what develops.
Biodynamics is fixing to become the cool, in thing. It is fixing to come
out of the closet and divest itself of its mysterious cult air. Stay tuned
because with curing Pierce's Disease, growing high yield corn with no
inputs to improve the soil and making rain you are just seeing the tip of
the iceberg of what biodynamics can do.

Sincerely,
Hugh Lovel
Blairsville, Georgia