market-farming - Re: onion seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris and Kim Blanchard <realfood AT RSFarm.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: onion seeds
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 21:07:40 -0500

Onions are normally biennials, meaning that they grow a storage structure
(the bulb) their
first year, then overwinter and go to seed the second year. If you save
seeds from onions
that are going to seed in their first year, you will be selecting for early
bolting; this
would be a bad thing. It would be worth the price to buy new seeds rather
than
haphazardly saving your own.

Chris Blanchard

--
Rock Spring Farm
Chris and Kim Blanchard

*even though our mail comes through Minnesota, we're really in Northeast Iowa.

  • onion seeds, Marie Kamphefner, 07/07/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: onion seeds, Alex McGregor, 07/07/2000
    • Re: onion seeds, Chris and Kim Blanchard, 07/08/2000
    • Re: onion seeds, Marie Kamphefner, 07/08/2000