market-farming - re: direct seeding brassicas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Julie M. Willingham" <farm2gates AT excite.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: re: direct seeding brassicas
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:30:37 -0700 (PDT)

Alex,

Thanks for your reply about using shade cloth until the seeds germinate.

A retired farmer neighbor suggested planting in a 4 inch deep trench, which
will also lend some wind protection.(Kind of the opposite of a raised
bed.)We don't have any drainage problems on most of the farm because it is
almost a sand dune. I don't know if this would work on your farm.

I will be trying both methods, since I will be planting more area than I
have shade cloth. I will let you know how they compare.

Julie
The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington

  • re: direct seeding brassicas, Julie M. Willingham, 06/23/2000