market-farming - Re: Methyl Bromide till 2015/

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Methyl Bromide till 2015/
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:47:26 -0400

Some third world countries including China will be allowed to use MB till
2015 putting USA
growers at a disadvantage, alot of small farms in my area use MB and Vapam
fumigants because
they don't have enough land to rotate to.
Eggplant is a big crop around here generating $10-20000 per acre but as you
all know eggplant
needs a five year rotation because of verticillum wilt, comparing a fumigated
to unfumigated
field is like night and almost day, farmers say its like planting virgin soil.
MB destroys the Ozone Layer thats why its being banned , a natural
alternative I herd about
was growing a combination of sunflower and sudangrass as a broadcast seeded
cover crop when
incorperated the two plants break down and combine to form a natural
fumigant, Im not sure
how valid this is but something worth looking into, if all else fails you
will still get a
lot of organic matter out of it.
Very hot and dry on the coast you can spot the farmers because we all are
looking up in the
sky for clouds and tripping over things.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.