market-farming - Pond Weed as Mulch?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bina Carey <binac AT vicon.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Pond Weed as Mulch?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:27:52 -0000

We have a pond on our farm which is quickly growing a great crop of
algae- seaweed. Looks like green wool when dried and I'd like to
possibly add it either to the compost pile or use it directly aroung
vegetables a s mulch? This is our first year as a CSA and I'd like to
find reasonable mulch material for my acre of vegetables. Would I need
to worry about heavy metals or other things? It is a healthy pond,
with frogs, dragonflies, cattails etc.
Any information on using this stuff in either the garden or the compost
would be appreciated.

Sabine Carey

Full Circle Farms
Community Supported Agriculture
CSA - connecting people to the land
www.fullcirclefarms.com

  • Pond Weed as Mulch?, Bina Carey, 06/11/2000