market-farming - Re: Epsom Salts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Epsom Salts
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 21:36:30 -0400

> I was at market yesterday - the first one of the year for us!, and
>was talking to a sister vendor. I asked what she used to keep her
>radishes bug free, and she said Epsom Salts. What are Epsom Salts made
>of, and is their use within the guidelines of the organic standards?
> Jill

Dear Jill,

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. I think it depends on your organic
guidelines whether these are within or not. This IS a salt of magnesia, but
in terms of the way plants use things this is the best, most usable form
for magnesium to be applied as a salt. Sulfates are always a big help as
the plant is vitalized by sulfates--unlike chlorides, which are
sterilizers. Thus sulfate of magnesisusm and potash (sulpomag) is sda very
handy form to kick start plants for both magnesium and potassium. Rudolf
Steiner recommended this one in terms of getting started in the right
direction. Some certification programs however are dacross the board NO
salts and no distinction between beneficial and detrimental forms. What can
I tell you? Epsom salts are obtainable in 50 lb. sacks at not too
unreasonable prices. On a small scale it's worth a try.

Best,
Hugh Lovel