market-farming - IFAFS UPDATE-STATUS REPORT

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: IFAFS UPDATE-STATUS REPORT
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 07:23:14 PDT

Good Morning All!
Here's the latest on the competitive grant program.
Blessings,
Ava

From: owner-ifafs-pubs AT reeusda.gov
Subject: IFAFS-PUBS> IFAFS UPDATE
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:05:41 -0400

Status Report--Initiative for Future Agriculture and Food Systems

The final deadline
for submitting proposals has passed, and it seems appropriate at this time
to provide a status report and share our future plans.

Although it is possible that we will still receive a few packages that
have been temporarily lost in the mail, we are pleased to report that more
than 1000 proposals have been entered into our records system and are now in
the process of being sent to reviewers around the country. Each proposal
will be in the hands of four reviewers during the month of June. Beginning
July 10, review panels for the various programs will meet in Washington, DC,
with the last set of panels completing their work on July 28.

After all reviews have been completed, and the panels recommendations are
available, the overall process will be reviewed to insure that all
requirements as to balance between consortia and standard grants, and grants
to small institutions have been met. At that time, final allocations of
funds will be made to sub-programs, and initial budget discussions will
begin with those whose grants have been recommended for funding. Our goal
is to complete the process in early to mid- August, and awards to be made
by mid- September.

As many of you know, Congress continues to discuss funding for IFAFS for
this and next fiscal year. Like those of you who submitted proposals, we
are moving forward with the program, although final determination of funding
is not yet made. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.