market-farming - Produce auction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Adriana Gutierrez & Dennis LaGatta <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Produce auction
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:19:59 -0400

Our auction is the largest of its kind in the USA, its been well
established over the last 40 years, there are hundreds of farmers who
deliver quantities of anywere of 10-1000 crates a day and loads are
combined to make trailer loads by the produce brokers to fill orders for
supermarkets, our success is due to are ability to fill the orders from
local production, every thing must be fresh picked and auctioned off the
same day, if for some reason the load dosn't match the quality of the
sample the farmer will never stand a chance to sell next time.

When you sell your surplus at auction what type of price do you get
compared to direct sales? Is there dumping going on where produce is
sold below cost to unload it? How do you control a downward spiral of
prices based on previous sales?

Are auctions the way produce is sold on the West coast too, I wonder?

Adriana Gutierrez
Sarasota, FL