Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:43:09 -0400

Bill,

>From several people who I have talked to, and who gave the NPR reporter
background info several weeks ago for that story, they say she knew but it
was apparent that she was doing a pro industry puff piece and didn't want
to hear any criticism. An almost identical (as far as tone and content) AP
article also came out. Sounds like an industry PR campaign to me.

I should be out planting the 1000 sweet potato slips that arrived last
night instead of wasting time at the computer, but I will get you the
sources of the grants this evening. I believe one of them was DOE, but I'll
confirm the sources this evening.

I understand Fairness and Acccuracy in Reporting (FAIR) will cover the
bias of the NPR piece in their radio show tonight (if you are lucky enough
to be in an area where Counterspin is broadcast). I believe they also
broadcast over the net.

  • [no subject], Leigh Hauter, 05/18/2000