market-farming - Re: Instructions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Instructions
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:03:46 -0700

By way of explaining just picked (often literally) garden veggies as
compared with grocery store veggies I put a note in my newsletter that they
may find an occasional bug and a bit of soil. I don't go wild washing. I
wash beets and carrots of their gobs of dirt and I wash lettuce only if its
very very dirty like after a downpour. I read that potatoes store better
unwashed so I just brush them off. They seem to deal ok, well at least the
ones who are repeat members :). Beth

you can be held liable for your customer eating it unwashed. Just label
> everything/tell your customers--WASH!! Have this in your printed
materials
> and you can not be held liable.

At a CSA conference workshop this was the advice of a lawyer-turned-farmer,
too. ALWAYS recommend washing produce, no matter how carefully you wash
before sale or pickup. In our CSA operation we leave the veggies gritty
enough that people will definitely rinse before use, but we recognize that
many farms (and markets) have customers that prefer something cleaner...

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf

  • Instructions, Dayna Conner, 05/17/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Instructions, Hook Family, 05/17/2000