market-farming - re: sweet potato plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Bennett" <dbennett AT micoks.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: sweet potato plants
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:58:00 -0500

I am in Miami County, KS. Never been to St. Joe.

I got Vardamans myself. I tilled 8" deep, added 4" of composted horse manure,
tilled again. Added hills (a wheelbarrow full each) of good topsoil & planted
in that. I'm hoping for some floral display as I planted them in the Kitchen
Garden just off the deck.

Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net> wrote:
__________
>Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.
>
>I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out who you are - I'm just
>sure we've met - probably at the vegetable conference at St. Joe? Where
>are you?
>
>I got sweet potato plants last year at Earl May there by Metro North
>Shopping Center in Kansas City North and I thought they were expensive.
>Was trying to find a cheaper source without having to grow the slips
>myself. Anyway, last year was the first time I ever grew decent sweet
>potatoes. I went down the row with the hiller/furrower attachment on the
>tiller, then came back close which formed a nice ridge. We planted
>Vardamans in the ridge. They produced beautiful green and purple foliage.
>We hauled pond water for the garden last year and we ended up with 6 feed
>sacks full of beautiful, delicious sweet potatoes, plus, we ate tons of
>them. Also, I gave away bags of them to people who called me with bagged
>leaves to give me..
>
>I guess I shouldn't complain about the cost of the plants. I'll check out
>Burpees though.
>
>Marie in Missouri
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: dbennett AT micoks.net
>To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
>with message text containing: subscribe market-farming

Dave