market-farming - Re: Squash Flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MJ Barnes <tbarnes AT huntel.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Squash Flowers
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:28:06 GMT

> I have a chef who wants to buy squash flowers from us. We have lots
of
> summer squashes about ready to go into flower and I know that I
should take
> only the male flowers. what I don't know is what to charge (by the
piece or
> by weight?) and how to prep them for sale (precooling or not)
> > Lucy Goodman-Owsley
>
> Lucy-- we pick our blossoms in the morning while they are open,
with long stems, bunch and put in stems in water. We charge anywhere
from .25 to .35 per blossom, however you might be able to get more,
I've always thought we were to cheap, mainly because at this price
they always want more and more and that is usually my indicator my
price is/was to low. This year we are thinking of going higher. My
problem with blossoms is getting them to the chef before they close
up. However the chef doen't seem to mind. Happy Day. Marlene

This message was sent via WebMail service from HunTel.net.
http://www.huntel.net/