market-farming - phoney virus warnings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Bowen <donb AT cts.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: phoney virus warnings
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:57:45 -0700

At 06:27 PM 4/13/2000 , you wrote:
> Vic & Pat Jackowsky wrote:
>
> Susan, I for one appreciate these warnings. You never know when one is
> real. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know of any OS that
> isn't subject to invasion from these little critters.

Linux is not. Nor any other flavor of unix. Nor is the Palm OS on Palm
computing devices.

All operating systems have security holes. As long as there is someone willing to look or system admins too lazy to update systems, there will be security holes. Windoze is in the news because most people are exposed to windoze. Many of the real virui exploit the very common combination of windoze, word, and outlook and most are just some version or another of an existing virus.

I used to send nasty notes to those who first get on a computer and then send along every virus warning and chain letter they get. I have given up this fruitless effort because there is an endless supply of fools in the world. There are lists that warn of real security holes with the fixes and the anti virus companies all have mailing lists to warn of real threats.

Keep the following firmly in mind.

Do not trust any files from someone you do not know and do not trust all files from someone you do know.

And buy and keep updated a good virus checker. The most trouble I have ever had with virui was company email from a former boss. His high school age daughter was always trading files with friends and she turned off the virus checker because it always got in the way..

Don Bowen donb AT cts.com
Valley Center, CA Senior Software Engineer
Internet development and software engineering

http://members.cts.com/crash/d/donb
http://www.oldengine.org/members/ihc14
http://www.oldengine.org/members/ferguson/

  • phoney virus warnings, Don Bowen, 04/13/2000