market-farming - Re: Irrigation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Don Palmer" <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Irrigation
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 7:17:0

On 04/08/00, ""JED's" <jeduck AT midwest.net>" wrote:
> Can anyone help me with what to look for in the weather to start the
irrigation water for frost protection on strawberries. Also when to turn
it
off. Thank you

Hello,
I use a temp.alarm set at 35 deg. that wakes me up and then I'll go out in
the field and take temp. readings, if it's a dry year I'll usually start
the pump anyway for irrigation, otherwise I'll just keep watch untill it
drops to the freezing mark. I'll keep the water going into the next morning
until the temp. has warmed up enough for all the ice to be gone out of the
field (there will be ice on the whole field). Use sprinkler heads that put
out around 2 or 3 GPM. and turn about once a minuet, sometimes you might
have to pump 8 to 12 hrs. and you don't want to flood the field. Watch for
calm clear nights, sometimes after a storm front has moved out.
good luck
Don Palmer
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.alltel.net/~dhkp

  • Irrigation, JED's, 04/08/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Irrigation, Don Palmer, 04/09/2000