market-farming - (fwd) Re: Veggies in natural succession- info?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (fwd) Re: Veggies in natural succession- info?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 13:22:22 -0400

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:19:04 -0700 (PDT), in permaculture Toby Hemenway
<hemenway AT jeffnet.org> wrote:

Hi Marsha: I've got a few references for you on cultivated plant
history
(one of my favorite subjects!). The goldmine is the journal, Economic
Botany. Can you get that in Brazil (at university libraries)? They
have a
website, http://www.econbot.org that, if I remember correctly, lets
you
search the journal index. You can look for general review articles or
for
specific species.

Web searches under "economic botany" or under +"cultivated plant*" +
history OR evolution will get lots of hits that should help you,
though I
haven't gone through them except cursorily. Your course sounds great;
wish
I was there to take it.

A few of my favorite books are listed below. They're all in English
(the
last is translated from Russian), so I don't know how much good this
will
do you.

The classic work, old but learned and beautifully written, is: Sauer,
Carl
Ortwin. Agricultural origins and dispersals. New York, American
Geographical Society, 1952

Hutchinson, Joseph Burtt. Essays on crop plant evolution.
Cambridge, University Press, 1965

Zohary, Daniel. Domestication of plants in the Old World: the
origin and spread of cultivated plants in West Asia, Europe, and the
Nile Valley. Oxford University Press, 1993

Evolution of crop plants / edited by N. W. Simmonds.
York : Longman, 1976

Zhukovskii, P. M. (Petr Mikhailovich) Cultivated plants and their wild
relatives, by P. M. Zukovskij. Abridged translation by P. S. Hudson
Publisher[Farnham Royal, Bucks., Eng.] Commonwealth Agricultural
Bureaux
[1962]

There are lots more; a search at a university library will get them,
if you
have time before the course.

Toby

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • (fwd) Re: Veggies in natural succession- info?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/05/2000