Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "five springs farm" <fsfarm AT mufn.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

014-42353-2000.03.05-19.53.22--fsfarm#mufn.org AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Another cure, perhaps...(Re: Zinnias)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:43:18 -0500

> I want to try H2O2 this year on my tomatoes for early blight. Did you
start spraying
> before symptoms od after? What time of day did you spray (sun or shade)?
Top and bottom
> of leaves or just one or the other? Thanks for this info. I'm encouraged
to hear H2O2
> slowed blight down. My tomatoes don't succumb immediately, but it cuts
down on fall
> harvest.

We are new to the use of H2O2 (as of last season) but this will be our
approach again this year: Start spraying WAY before symptoms, say at 6-8"
seedlings. I like to spray anything in cooler times of the day, and
generally choose morning so that there is no residual moisture on leaves as
night falls. Once a week until the plants are too big to make spraying
practical and not TOO time consuming, which for us in our small operation,
was perhaps 8-10 weeks. I think full coverage, or at least as full as
practical, is best. And remember, it is not a cure but a slow-down. BTW, we
use the 3% drug/grocery store variety, not the higher strength formulations
@ 3TBS per gallon.

Jim and Jo
The Community Farm Newsletter
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf