market-farming - Authors and Experts Mini-faq

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming post <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Authors and Experts Mini-faq
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:20:46 -0800

Here's the promised list of expertise among list folks from those who sent
me something

It was harder to organize this mini-faq than I thought, so I decided to
sort it twice. First, by person, alphabetical. These folks are all
listees, so their names will be familiar to you. The second sort is by
area of expertise for easier reference.

Michaele Blakely - Growing Things

Growing Things is a diversified market garden with fruits, berries and one
walnut tree, a CSA, a laying flock of about 400 and pastured poultry.
Marketing through farmers markets and a small CSA.
I managed the local farmer's market for seven years.
Speaking topics include free-range chickens, pastured poultry, CSA,
small-scale farm efficiency.
Growing Things, Carnation, WA. mjb AT premier1.net
(Editors note) Michaele spoke this year at the Washington State Farmers'
Market Association Conference in Seattle. Her topic was small farm
equipment.

Lynn Byczynski - Growing for Market

Lynn Byczynski is the editor and publisher of Growing for Market, the
monthly newsletter for market farmers, and the author of The Flower Farmer:
An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers (Chelsea
Green, 1997, $24.95). She has been an organic market farmer for more than a
decade, and has sold at farmers markets, restaurants, grocery stores, food
coops, florists, supermarket florals and on-farm. Today, everything is sold
before it leaves the farm. Flowers are grown under contract to florists and
for a PYO flower subscription. Vegetables are sold to chefs and through a
cooperative CSA, in which eight farmers work together to provide a weekly
bag of produce to 350 members. Her farm is certified organic by OCIA, and
currently consists of four acres of production, two unheated hoophouses for
season extension and a greenhouse for transplant production. She is a
frequent speaker at conferences on cut flowers and marketing. She can be
contacted at growing4market AT earthlink.net.
The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut
Flowers is a comprehensive introductory guide to commercial cut flower
production. It includes variety recommendations, cultivation, harvest and
post-harvest handling, flower marketing, yield and pricing, woody
ornamentals, dried flowers, arranging, profiles of successful growers and
an appendix with production and harvest advice on 100 species. Softcover,
8x10, 224 pages, $24.95. Available from Growing for Market at 800-307-8949.
Growing for Market sells books and special reports pertinent to
small-scale market farmers. Our most popular titles are The Flower Farmer;
Specialty Cut Flowers ; We're Gonna Be Rich Growing Specialty Cut Flowers
for Market; Sustainable Vegetable Production from Start-Up to Market; Eliot
Coleman's Winter Harvest Manual; Sharing the Harvest: A Guide to Community
Supported Agriculture. For a complete list, call 800-307-8949, fax
785-748-0609 or email growing4market AT earthlink.net

Peg Cook - Cook's Consulting

My name is Peg Cook, I operate Cook's Consulting, a soil and crop
consulting business with a full-scale soils lab in northern New York State.
My experience includes 29 years as private Crop Consultant and Soil Tech.
I was the Grazing Advocate for a year in 1998 covering a 7 county area,
collecting a lot of materials, mainly on dairy production, but I have
plenty on soils and grasses as well. Our lab does testing for home
gardeners, commercial growers and a lot of certified organic growers. We
are able to give either conventional or organic recommendations depending
on customer preference. I offer free soil sample kits, which contain a
soil sample bag, a cropping history sheet and envelope and a fee schedule
listing what different tests are offered. In addition, after receiving
your soil test report, if you have questions, you can call me as I am here
to help.
I have developed a program for the farmer called "Common Sense Crop
Production." It's set up to teach what to look for in soil tests, and how
to put that into practical application in the field. The program includes
a handout on Understanding Your Soil Test Results, a soil sample kit, how
to take a soil sample, a soil sampling calendar, a Grazer's Guide (a seed
and general fertilizer reference guide), a Weed Directory of Soil
Conditions, and a Field Crop Calendar for recording field inputs, yields
and rainfall. When I work with grazers, I include reference material for
that also. The program cost $25.00 plus $3.95 s&h.
Peg Cook, Agronomist, Cook's Consulting, RD #2, Box 13, Lowville, NY. 13367
Ph. 315-376-3002 pegcook AT northnet.org

Bob and Bonnie Gregson - Island Meadow Farm

"Rebirth of the Small Family Farm" is by us, Bob and Bonnie Gregson, and is
a "handbook for starting a successful organic farm based on the community
supported agriculture concept"....about how two middle-aged relatively
novice farmers make a decent living from two acres of land. Books are
available directly from us for $9.95, including postage. Address: IMF,
Box 2542, Vashon Island, WA 98070

Jeff Ishee - Bittersweet Farmstead

I'd like to make folks aware of a book that I wrote and independently
published in 1997. The title is "Dynamic Farmers' Marketing: A Guide to
Successfully Selling Your Farmers' Market Products."
I'm also working on another book for release in summer/fall of 2000
that is tentatively entitled "Great Ideas for Farmers' Market Success." I
have learned a lot of things from fellow market farmers and market managers
in my travels around the country, and look forward to sharing those
"breakthrough" ideas in the next book.
Jeff is also the host of Agribusiness, an award winning radio show on
WSVA in the beautiful Shenandoah valley. He also writes Valley Vegetable
Gardening, a newspaper column. Most recently, Jeff launched the
http://www.emarketfarm.com website.
Jeff Ishee, Bittersweet Farmstead, P.O. Box 52 Middlebrook, VA 24459
(540) 886-9394

Andy Lee and Patricia Foreman - Good Earth Organic Farm

A nationally known speaker and advocate for small farms and rural
micro-enterprise development, Andy Lee is the author of two books, BACKYARD
MARKET GARDENING and CHICKEN TRACTOR, both available from Good Earth
Publications email: goodearth AT rockbridge.net. Andy writes and speaks on a
wide range of subjects, and owns Good Earth Organic Farm, and is the
Director of Good Earth Farm School.
Good Earth Farm School is a non-profit formed to offer classes,
workshops, symposia, conferences and long-term apprenticeships in
sustainable, small-scale agriculture, and rural micro-enterprise
development. Classes offered include; ecological design for small farms,
permaculture, organic market gardening, pasture-based poultry systems,
rural business development, and housing construction. In 2000 the school
will offer its first 10-month apprenticeship leading to a Certificate in
Small Farm Management. Contact Andy Lee, Director, email
goodearth AT rockbridge.net, or phone and fax 540-261-8775. URL is
www.goodearthpub.com
Good Earth Publications is a not-for-profit only publisher of
self-reliant living and small-scale agriculture books. We focus on
economic, environmental and social aspects of sustainable agriculture and
permaculture. We seek manuscripts from people who might not otherwise be
published because of lack of contacts in the publishing industry, or
because the subject is too small to attract major publishing houses. We are
especially interested in how-to books that teach practical applications of
permaculture and organic agriculture, and how to make a living in the
country using one or more sustainable, farm-based enterprises. Contact
Patricia Foreman or Andy Lee, 1702 Mountain View Road, Buena Vista, Virginia
24416, email goodearth AT rockbridge.net, or telephone and fax 540-261-8775,
URL http://www.goodearthpub.com

Alex McGregor - Walden Farm

My educational background includes a BA in Geology and studying
Biointensive farming at Ohio University. I completed a soil testing and
recommendations course offered by the director of the Biointensive
program at OU. I have been gardening organically for 30 years and began
farming in 1991. I have taught Biointensive techniques at Ohio U and
through on-farm workshops. I have also spoken at Georgia Organics and
Southern SAWG Conferences on Soil Management, CSAs, and Cover Crops.
We received a USDA Sustainable Agriculture grant in 1996 and 97 to
establish a Biointensive Farming course here which will be offered on a
yearly basis. I also teach a credit classes in Organic Gardening and
Farming and a class in Agricultural Marketing at Chattanooga State
Technical Community College.
We offer a workshop in Biointensive gardening each summer. This is
designed for people wanting to grow some of their vegetables in a backyard
garden. It is 18 hours long and includes theory and hands-on applications
with emphasis on the hands-on. It is an introduction to Biointensive
techniques and gives the average gardener enough information to understand
the "how tos" of the system. We also offer a Biointensive farming class
each summer. It is 40 hours long and includes marketing and record keeping.
This class is for those wanting to start farming, who are already farming
and want to learn this system, gardeners who want to grow most of their own
food, teachers and community gardening directors. Walden Farm, Walden
Ridge, TN, waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com

Marcie A. Rosenzweig - Full Circle Organic Farm

Full Circle Organic Farm, is a diversified market farm and CSA program
using biointensive, organic cultural practices. We have 5 acres, farm 3
use a tractor and spader to build raised beds, cover crop, drip irrigate,
use season extension techniques, trellises , and operate 2 20x48
greenhouses. We used to sharecrop another acre. I chaired the committee
of farmers, city and county reps, and economic development folk starting a
farmers' market system here, then served 3 yrs on the board. I worked on
the first ag element to the county general plan, and our right-to-farm
ordinance. For 5 years, I helped plan the annual California Farm
Conference. Locally, I've produced 2 workshop series Beginning Farming and
Intermediate Farming Techniques with our Extension Service, and helped
develop PlacerGrown FC.
When not farming, I write and speak. Some of the workshops I've
developed and taught - Using Computers on the Farm, Pricing From Your
Budget, Budgeting and Cropping for CSAs, Crop Planning and Diversification,
Season Extension Techniques, Farmers' Market Rules and Regs, Soilless Mixes
and Seed Starting. I've spoken at the PlacerGrown FC, the California Farm
Conference, and EcoFarm.
I've contributed writing, photographs, and graphics to the following
books "How to Find Agricultural Information on the Internet," Campidonica,
UC SAREP, "Growing Across the Seasons," Veerkamp, UCCE Placer/Nevada, and
"Making the Connection, a CSA Producers' Handbook," Blake, UCCE Placer. I
wrote "Market Farm Forms: Spreadsheet Templates for Planning and Tracking
Information on Diversified Market Farms" at the request of farmers after
teaching the Computers on the Farm workshops. Order from Full Circle
Organic Farm, 3377 Early Times Lane, Auburn, CA 95603 fullcircle AT jps.net
$45 plus $5 s&h, CA residents pay $3.26 state tax. Specify PC or Mac

Jim Sluyter and Jo Meller - The Community Farm

The Community Farm is a quarterly newsletter for the Community Supported
Agriculture (CSA) movement. Jim Sluyter and Jo Meller, co-editors of The
Community Farm operate a small CSA farm in Michigan. We saw a need to
create a forum for farmers, farm members and others with an interest in
small farms and sustainable agriculture. The Community Farm is the result.
Subscriptions are $20 in the U.S. The Community Farm, 3480 Potter Rd., Bear
Lake, MI 49614. 616/889-3216, fsfarm AT mufn.org.
http://www.mufn.org/public/tcf

Paula and Tom Speraneo - S&S Aqua Farm,

The Aquaponics mail group is an open list specifically for aquaponics -
the combined systems of aquaculture and hydroponics. The list is a general
information exchange forum and cyber-community of folks who share a common
interest in aquaponics and related subjects. We discuss such topics as
general growing system issues, growing your own food, water conservation
and energy systems, agriculture, food safety and nutrition, environmental
issues related to aquaculture and agriculture, ag technology, plant and
aquatic species, etc. We encourage those who have operating systems, are
in the set-up process, those who have a beginning or general interest to
participate. Subscription information is: Send a message to
aquaponics-request AT townsqr.com
In the body type SUBSCRIBE
Although the emphasis is on aquaponics, you don't need to have a system
yet to participate - in fact you may be interested because you think you'll
be healthier, because you want to be easier on the environment, you enjoy
the rewards of self sufficiency, or you want to evaluate a lifestyle
change. Whatever your abilities or reasons for being drawn to this list,
you are welcome. In order to bring the topics into the areas you want, we
encourage everyone to post their queries, observations, comments and
suggestions for how this type integrated system should, does or might work.
S&S Aqua Farm, 8386 County Road 8820, West Plains, MO 65775 417-256-5124
Web page http://www.townsqr.com/snsaqua/

Cappy (Capella) Tosetti - Bumper Crop Marketing

Conference speaker, writer, agricultural columnist. Owner and imagination
director at Bumper Crop Marketing - providing fresh new ideas that help
small farms and specialty food companies bloom and thrive.
(Editor's note) Cappy gave the Keynote address, "Marketing is Everything"
at the Washington State FMA conference. She also presented a workshop
called "Marketing on a Shoestring." Cappy has worked in marketing and as a
writer for 30 years. Her column, "Fresh New Ideas", aimed to help small
farms and specialty food companies, appears every other week on the Adding
Value page of the Capital Press. Her website is www.bumpercropmarketing.com
Cappy Tosetti, P.O. Box 486, Gleneden Beach, OR. 97388. (541) 764-2023
cappy AT harborside.com

Paul and Alison Wiediger - Au Naturel Farm

We are Paul and Alison Wiediger of Au Naturel Farm. Both of us have been
growing organically since 1974 (we were organic WAY before organic was
cool!). So we have over 50 years of combined organic growing experience, 18
combined years of organic greenhouse growing experience, and five years
experience growing in high tunnels.
We have several presentations, short and long, complete with slides, on
growing high profit lettuce and gourmet salad greens in high tunnels -
unheated coldframes, all winter in zone 6. Would definitely work for zone
6 and points south. We also have a half-day workshop that we present on
organic greenhouse growing which includes an 8 page resource guide for
folks who don't know where to start to find supplies.
http://www.aunaturelfarm.homestead.com/

Authors:
Lynn Byczynski, "The Flower Farmer"
Peg Cook, "Common Sense Crop Production"
Bob & Bonnie Gregson, "Rebirth of the Small Family Farm"
Jeff Ishee, "Dynamic Farmers' Marketing"
Andy Lee, "Backyard Market Gardening"
Andy Lee & Patricia Foreman, "Chicken Tractor"
Marcie A. Rosenzweig, "Market Farm Forms"

Conference speakers and workshop leaders:
Michaele Blakely, Growing Things, Farmer
Lynn Byczynski, Growing for Market, Farmer, author
Peg Cook, Cook's Consulting, Agronomist, author
Bob & Bonnie Gregson, Island Meadow Farm, Farmer, author
Jeff Ishee, Bittersweet Farmstead, farmer, author
Andy Lee & Patricia Foreman, Good Earth Organic Farm, farmer, author, teacher
Alex McGregor, Walden Farm, Farmer, teacher
Marcie A. Rosenzweig, Full Circle Organic Farm, Farmer, author, writer
Jim Sluyter & Jo Meller, The Community Farm, Farmers, writers
Paula and Tom Speraneo, S&S Aqua Farm, Farmers, aquaponics,
Cappy (Capella) Tosetti, Bumper Crop Marketing, marketer, writer
Paul and Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm, farmers

Farm Schools:
Andy Lee & Patricia Foreman, Good Earth Farm School
Alex McGregor, Walden Farm's Biointensive Farming

Marketing:
Jeff Ishee, Bittersweet Farmstead,
Cappy (Capella) Tosetti, Bumper Crop Marketing,

Publishers:
Lynn Byczynski, Fairplain Publications
Andy Lee & Patricia Foreman, Good Earth Publications

Writers:
Lynn Byczynski, Growing for Market,
Jeff Ishee, Bittersweet Farmstead,
Marcie A. Rosenzweig, Full Circle Organic Farm,
Jim Sluyter & Jo Meller, The Community Farm,
Cappy (Capella) Tosetti, Bumper Crop Marketing,

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA

  • Authors and Experts Mini-faq, Marcie Rosenzweig, 03/03/2000