market-farming - History Revisited

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dave Miller <recycler AT eclipse.net>
  • To: sanet <sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu>, market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: "Burke, Tim" <tim.burke AT lecroy.com>
  • Subject: History Revisited
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 01:12:05 -0500

In light of Monsanto and others' "Terminator" type seeds, I thought it
would be appropriate to revisit where we were just 6 years ago. Plus a
historical perspective of how we have lost some of our bio-diversity in
just over 100 years.

http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm/Call-to-Support-Farmers-Rights

Remember that it was the farmer who took the risk to try out new seeds
and the farmer who gave the feedback. A sort of unpaid trial and error
test.

I never knew for example that in 1897, the USDA gave away free seeds but
later in 1930 the Plant Protection Act was successfully lobbied and
passed by the seed industry. No wonder they (Asgrow, Monsanto, Pioneer,
etc.) want to produce seeds that cannot be saved!

And yet field trials are essentially conducted by the farmers at their
own risk?

Also as to seed saving in other countries (those in Africa):

http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm/African-seed-saving.txt

I am glad to see that the Internet/computers have allowed us to archive
for research purposes. Boy were my eyes opened today.

Dave Miller
Dusty Miller Farm
Zone 6 Central NJ USA

  • History Revisited, Dave Miller, 03/03/2000