market-farming - Re: farm stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hartwig" <hartwig AT pioneer.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: farm stands
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:25:12 +0000

Dear Rose,

We live on a very busy highway; one that links the inland valley to the
Oregon Coast. We started a farm stand on our place along with 3
other farmers two seasons ago. We manned it during the weekends,
sharing the time with our other members. It was closed during the
week days. The stand was reasonably sucessful since we didn't
advertise (we didn't want to run out of produce and ruin our business
before we really got started).

We planted our flowers closest to the road and when our dahlias were
in bloom, we had many people stopping to buy them as well as the
vegetables. The dahlias were the big drawing factor.

This year we are hoping to put up a self service area for the
flowers and vegetables all week long, with most of our produce going
towards home-delivered CSA-type boxes. One cut flower grower in our
area made nice looking self-service stands and has them located in
the parking lots of several businesses in the area. They are
successful,and have continued to do it for at least 5 years, so theft
has not been a major problem for them.

Our biggest problem this year is that the Department of
Transportation has mandated that signs may not be placed along the
highway anywhere except for where the goods are sold. This means we
can no longer put up signs on other people's property giving
motorists advanced notice about the produce stand. We are not sure
what we will do about that problem since our stand is not that
visible from the highway where traffic goes 55-65 mph. We would
appreciate any suggestions along that vein.

Linda Hartwig
Meadow Spring Farms
Blodgett, OR

  • Re: farm stands, Hartwig, 03/02/2000