market-farming - cut flowers...bunches or mixed bokays?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob & Mary Buffo" <buffo AT hit.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: cut flowers...bunches or mixed bokays?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:47:12 -0600

I have been out here, listening and learning.  Now I have a question, actually several: 1) Those of you that grow flowers, do you sell straight bunches, mixed bokays, and what do you find sells the best? I find that customers like mixed casual bokays, but it takes so much time!  2) I use lots of herbs in my bokays, and wondered what holds up well for you. I like dill, fennel, basil, oregano, and mint, especially the apple and chocolate.  Are there others I should consider?  3) I currently sell just at market, but am in a new "learning cluster" that has formed. With goals of searching for new markets, are there any we should consider besides florists, wholesale floral companies, and possibly a bokay subscription?  There are also many upscale hotels, resturants, and a couple of retirement complexes that have bought flowers in the past, but we find that when the finances are tight, the flowers are the "extras" that are first to go.  Not all of the growers in the cluster use organic methods, so health food stores aren't an option for everyone.  To those of you that sell to florists, do they feel you are in competition with them when you sell at market?  4) Lastly, have any of you had success in a cooperative marketing venture with other flower growers?  Thank you in advance for you input.  PS Yes, I know Lynn B., and her book is Great! I'd still appreciate any thoughts YOU have.
Thanks Again,
Mary Buffo