market-farming - this must be my fault...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: Market Farming List <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: this must be my fault...
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:41:50 -0800

I'm so sorry - I caused all this trouble by posting that article about the
farmworker chemical poisoning. Before I decided to do that I did a lot of
double checking to see WHO is on the m-f list, and who is on Sanet, and I
haven't seen hardly any of the same people. I don't know who is duplicating
if they don't post, though.

So, maybe I'm mistaken that a lot of the m-f list folks (like me, a number
of years ago) need a lot more info. now and then on important (food-safety,
farm-safety) issues - especially when they are just starting out.

When potential customers (CSA or market) ask new farmers questions about
certain aspects of growing food that might help them (the customers) decide
whether to go with sustainable farm-direct produce or stick with the big
grocery store chains for their "fresh" groceries, these news items and
informational articles can be VERY handy as honest MARKETING TOOLS, among
other things.

The new market farmers might not have room for all the
Sanet/Ban-Gef/Maydayy2k, etc. political food-safety and farm-worker safety
discussion. But one or two articles that they can easily print-out without
having to search for and download might be a blessing... I wish I'd found a
few of these resources back before I had to learn certain facts the hard
way, on my own, out in the field.

I won't send anything on pesticides or GE food to m-f ever again, but I am a
hell of a good list weeder - I sort & file 7 lists every day - 100-200 posts
usually (when I have time during snowy weather) and I happily volunteer to
send anything from my files if I get a personal e-mail request for it.

My apologies. I'll be back in the mud and out of your hair in about 3 weeks.

Love to all,
Ericka Dana, Catnip Farm <doodles AT netins.net>

http://catnipfarm.com (in a week)

--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.

  • this must be my fault..., Ericka & Rich Dana, 02/20/2000