market-farming - Aquaponics mail group, was Re: Basil tips, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: S & S Aqua Farm <snsaquasys AT townsqr.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Aquaponics mail group, was Re: Basil tips, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:05:12 -0600

At 05:20 PM 02/15/2000 -0800, Suzy wrote:
>>It's also been suggested to me that even in a raised bed organic
>>garden it makes the most sense to make succession plantings from
>>cuttings, rather than from seeds.
>
>Allan, anything in the mint family like basil will be large and
>marketable faster from cuttings than from seed. I've not produced a
>lot of basil cuttings at one time to plant on a commercial scale.
>It's wonderful to drop a bunch of cuttings into a large vase and 10
>days later you have roots. In my experience potting up the fragile
>water roots can be time consuming so you would have to weigh that
>against putting a seed in the ground or pot and not having to
>carefully transplant cuttings.

What you need is an aquaponics system set-up :>) When we've worked from
cuttings, we just plop them into the gravel beds. Generally, we'll plant as
close (or closer) than you would in a cutting tray and move into proper
spacing after rooting, but moving from one gravel bed (tightly space for
rooting) into another for grow-out is a fairly simple operation; and the
gravel just falls away from the root system when you move it with very
little transplant shock.

Just a thought, and you know I'm promoting aquaponics as well -- not just
our "variety" of system -- there are many potential ways to do it.

And, just in case you need another mail group to keep up with, or would like
to learn a little more about the applications, here's the subscribe
instructions.

A new e-mail discussion group has been formed - an open list specifically
for aquaponics - the combined systems of aquaculture and hydroponics.

All who are interested in learning and sharing information about this and
related topics are invited to participate.