market-farming - Profiles of FM consumers, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Profiles of FM consumers, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:14:51 -0500

Allison : >(I know, cheap, but you'd have to know our market)<

A regular customer of mine is an elderly woman who authored many
articles back in the 70's for Organic Gardening & Mother Earth news.
She's in her 90's, and can't eat much of my produce. But she loves to
visit & chat during my slow periods. I actually began taking a chair
for her to sit in when she stopped by. She too had a roadside stand,
and we both agree that profiles of customers is an important tool in
increasing our sales & exposure. I find it has been especially
helpful in determining the mindset of fm consumers, so I can formulate
strategies to break the resistance to my "new" presense in our market
(only organic grower). Knowing my market is the key to my staying
power.

How many of you examine/keep records of your customers?? Do you
make notes of age/generation, amount spent, what was purchased, any
other details??

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

  • Profiles of FM consumers, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs, Elizabeth Pike, 02/10/2000