market-farming - Re: Should I Be Concerned?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Should I Be Concerned?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:23:14 -0500

Rose & Fred Lieberman wrote:

> As far as the leaves go...
> With people using pesticides on lawns, should I be suspicious about taking
> bagged leaves from sources unknown?

You should be suspicious. The chemicals are systemic- they are readily
absorbed into the
plants' tissues including the tree leaves. There was an article about a year
ago in Acres
about the demise of the pecan groves. Heavy fungicide spraying has loaded the
soil with
these and the concentrations in the trees are now killing them. They've tried
"flushing
out" the chemicals, but they just get reabsorbed from the soil.

So, most of what's being put on lawns winds up in the trees. I suggest
selective pickups.
I cruise the neighborhoods looking for non-chemical lawns. I can tell by the
diversity in
the plants growing in the lawns. If they're not using herbicides, they're
probably not
using other biocides. Anything that's a bright green monocrop- beware!

> How do pesticides react in the compost pile?

All of the pesticides that are long lasting- that is they don't break down
fast in the
environment- have been banned for sale in this country (like DDT &
Chlordane). So, what
you get from lawns SHOULD break down in a compost pile, given the right
conditions. Keep
in mind that the breakdown time claimed by the Chems. is from tests run in a
lab under
optimal conditions. It takes longer in the real world.

> Or is this much ado about nothing?

It may be, but I figure it's better to err on the safe side. I farm on 4 1/2
acres
surrounded by suburban development. It's been an educational experience for
my neighbors-
living next to an organic farm. I have refused offers of leaves, grass
clippings and
brush from those who use Chem-Lawn. I explain to them why and the
consequences to the
soil, water, air and wildlife of using chemicals. Some have stopped, but
mostly because
of a rash of dead bluebirds in their yards right after Mr. or Ms. Chem-Lawn
sprays.

I also suggest that you talk to people who don't use chemicals about hauling
away their
yard waste for free. I do this with some and empty, dry and fold their bags
and return
them for refilling. Most people are glad their waste gets used. Don't be
bashful about
asking.

Happy Composting!
Alex