market-farming - Re: check out OTA's response to 20/50

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: check out OTA's response to 20/50
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 17:44:53 -0700

Grandad wrote:

> > It might be a way to
> > hold 20/20 accountable for misrepresenting organic food.
>
> Civilly law litigation cases are decided on precedents
> established in previous court decisions. If you will also
> remember Oprah won that case, the Texas beef ranchers lost.
..snip..

I suggest that litigation is influenced, not determined, by
precedents. A jury is not 100% bound by precedent.

It seems that 20/20 is now 20/50. It seems they have taken
on the same clothes as Jerry Springer, National Enquirer,
and other spectacle shows rather than concentrating on solid
and balanced journalism. Barbara Walters used to be a
respected reporter but I guess with advancing age, loss of
talent and falling ratings "Oh how the mighty have fallen".

The National Enquirer and other "news" entities have fallen
many times. The 20/50 report is obviously of a "ambush"
type. It had obviously anti-organic entities, sound bytes
and other techniques designed to ALARM rather than INFORM.

The initial premise was that organic was bad and the show
was designed to support that.

Marc

  • Re: check out OTA's response to 20/50, Marc & Marcy, 02/05/2000