market-farming - Farm Show Experience-interesting & disturbing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Farm Show Experience-interesting & disturbing
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:33:38

Had to wade through an ocean of testosterone & cigarette smoke, but I'm
glad I went!

Good Thing: discovering innovative greenhouse builder & supplier just 30
miles from me. Score on 1-10 scale = 8 (subtracted 2 points for not
staffing booth-never, no, never leave a sales show booth without someone to
greet potential customers!)

Never seen before: stainless steel seedling cart from above supplier,
polycarbonate sides, screened shelves, on wheels to be rolled wherever the
sun is, or for extra protection in greenhouse. Score: on 1-10 = 12!
(while salesmen were away, I took measurements--to build my own. Sorry
guys, that's what you get for walking away!)

Disturbing: Farming Gone Hollywood. Equipment so large, dangerous,
specialized, expensive, as to be ready for debut in next Hollywood thriller
killer movie.

Most disturbing: "suits" at a farm show. Don't dare try to shake (grab) my
hand when you're in a double breasted, custom tailored suit with designer
accessories, & extol the virtues of ge seed!! Repulsive.

Sad: the farmers surrounding the ge seed booths. (Who is saying there will
be less of this mess planted this year??)

Sweetest: the eager wave I received from a 2 year old miniature farmer,
dressed exactly like his daddy! So precious!

Sorry, just had to share! Now, I've got to go wash this !@#$% cigarette
smoke out of my hair!

Liz Who's ready to get home to wide open spaces...
Morningstar Garden
Pollocksville NC