market-farming - Re: One (or 2) more questions...Re: Permanent Raised Beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: One (or 2) more questions...Re: Permanent Raised Beds
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:27:52 -0500

From: Rose & Fred Lieberman <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>

> For those who make permanent raised beds, do you "box" them in with
> anything? Wooden slats, concrete blocks, stone?
> If you don't, what prevents them from eroding?

I don't use anything. Every year I contemplate it, but decide against
it. Cost for one thing, then deciding which is best, & I'm afraid it
will create more trouble/work than it's worth-such as cold soil,
drying out too quickly (we have more problems with drought than
moisture during active growing months), fireants love sided beds, etc.

In Jan-Feb, after lightly turning under cover crops, I broadfork the
beds, then go around with the furrow attachment on my wheel hoe. The
soil is light, moist & easily repositioned to form sloped sides.

> Also, how do you treat your pathways? Do you mow them, mulch them,
weed
> them, nuke them?

All of the above at some point during the year! I lay down corrugated
cardboard, mulch heavily over that, flame any persistent weeds (few
make it through the cardboard), & patrol with a hoe. And there's
always mowing somewhere, anytime.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC