Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:15:04 -0500

But it might be a little off subject for this list to talk about
industrial
> farming's sanitary practices.

I was speaking to myself because I was about to go on and on and on about
the subject.

I suspect that the juice pasteurization rules was to cover up unsanitary
industrial practices and to increase shelf life. The industry is using the
same e-coli to try to justify food irradiation (who wants to eat puss,
urine and feces even if the bacteria have been killed?) The good professor
from my Alma mater failed to mention the vector e-coli got into the juice,
even though he tried to make is seem that it was happening everywhere.

He didn't mention how long e-coli lives outside the body. I suspect not long.
He didn't mention what sort of conditions existed in the juice companies
packing house, where they got their apples, how the apples were stored
before juicing? What sort of sanitary conditions existed for the farm
workers (in many states farm workers aren't provided sanitary facilities
and use the ground in the orchard). To me, pasteurization seems like a
quick and dirty fix for bad, but cost effective practices.
Living near DC and having once been a lobbyist, I am very aware that most
things coming out of DC (or for that matter the state houses) are the
result of money.

  • [no subject], Leigh Hauter, 02/01/2000