market-farming - Re: Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Prices
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:08:02 EST

I grow a lot of stuff, but not everything (not yet).

So I go to the grocery store.

And I write down the produce prices in my handy-dandy notebook.

Sometimes I charge a little bit less at my market stand, but usually not. After all, mine is chemical-free and two weeks fresher.

Also, I've been doing this CSA/Market hobby farm thing for about ten years now. Got a good enough idea about what summer squash brings in August (when everybody's got too much of the stuff) to set my prices now. Worst case: they'll be too high later and I can lower them, or they'll be too low and my customers will get a good bargain for one year (I'll raise them for next year's list).

Advantage of early pricing -- I can have all of my price cards printed and ready to go by April, before I get busy with plant/weed/harvest chores.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY
http://www.ic.org/agrove

PS - in case anybody is wondering about my sudden loquaciousness -- I'm home sick from school today. Happens to the very best of us.