market-farming - Re: prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: prices
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:43:47

Liz, Unless I'm mistaken, pretty much the same information is available for
free at http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/~MARKETING/fvprod/tmppmenu.html

I would like to double-check with this group that I am interpreting this
data correctly. I assume that "Terminal Market Price" is the price paid at
at the receiving end by the first middle-man in the food chain after the
farmer-broker-shipper at the point of origin. To use these prices to
guesstimate the cost in the market place I assume there is a mark-up of
maybe 30% on sales to produce wholesalers and another 30-40% on sales to
restaurants and/or retail customers. For example, if the terminal market
price of salad mix is $7/case, the wholesaler pays about $9.10 and the
restaurant pays between $11.83-$12.74. Do you concur?

  • prices, Elizabeth Pike, 01/31/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: prices, Adriana Gutierrez, 01/31/2000
    • Re: prices, Elizabeth Pike, 01/31/2000