market-farming - Re: Mulch, Tilling and Pepper Spray

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mulch, Tilling and Pepper Spray
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:56:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Marie Kamphefner wrote:

> My favorite thing is hoeing.
> I know, I know, I'm crazy, but I love to get out in the garden early and
> hoe around the plants. I could do it for hours. It seems like I draw
> energy from being in the dirt and with the plants. I have a new high tech
> hoe from Wal Mart. It has a fiberglass handle, it's lightweight and I get

Ah yes. Another reveler of toiling in the fields (see Millay's
(sp?) painting with similar name). Between gardening and landscaping,
second to sleeping, I have spent more time shoveling dirt than any
other activity and enjoyed every minute of it. I am a tool nut
with, at last count, about 36 D or T - handled garden spades, forks
and spadeforks. Haven't counted the hoes, rakes, manure/potato hooks,
shovels and other special purpose implements.

For really fine Japanese gardening tools see the catalog from:

Hida Tool Co.
1-800-443-5512

See their long and short-handles hoes on pps. 6 & 7;
especially Farmer Hoe (KUWA) G-2001 5" wide X 7 1/2" long
Overall length 41" with white oak handle 4 pounds
"Traditional Japanese farmer hoe. Hand forged blade, nice balance"
$44.80 - extra wedge, $1.50

LL

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Mulch, Tilling and Pepper Spray, Marie Kamphefner, 01/30/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Mulch, Tilling and Pepper Spray, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/30/2000