market-farming - Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:11:27 -0500

Interesting -
just drove the truck out through the 15 inches of new snow and there in the
mailbox was a Johnny's newsletter about tomatoes with an article on
stringing tomatoes.

The newsletter also pushed red plastic. I was interested in anyone's
experience with red plastic. I used it last year (my supplier sells it for
a lot cheaper than Johnny's)) and got the earliest tomatoes ever ( July 4th
tomatoes around here is considered a true sign of great farming practices
and a lot of luck). We had tomatoes by the last week of June.

However, our tomatoes also stopped growing two weeks early. We didn't grow
all tomatoes through the red stuff, but it seems they were always close
enough to affect the production.

Anyone else have any experience with red plastic. I intend to use it again
on my early tomatoes, but I intend to grow my later tomatoes on another
part of the farm, far away from red plastic.