market-farming - Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: National Organic Program "Final Rule"
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:43:02 -0500

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:06:38 -0800, Sandra Beerman
<sbeerman AT ucinet.com> wrote:

>Well the new Rules are out. National Organic Program have them on there web
>page at
>http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/ What do you all think about them?
> Thanks, Sandie

Subpart D - Labels, Labeling, and Market Information

ยง 205.300 Use of the term, "organic."

(a) The term, "organic," may only be used on labels and in labeling of
raw or processed agricultural products, including ingredients, that
have been produced
and handled in accordance with the regulations in this part. The term,
"organic," may not be used in a product name to modify a nonorganic
ingredient in the product.

<><>

So, we are free to call our produce natural, biological or
biointensive in the marketplace without any certification other than
what we choose to provide?

LL

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon AT mindspring.com