market-farming - Re: Deer Problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Deer Problems
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:43:23 -0400

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:03:46 -0700, Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
wrote:

>Don't use CCA posts within 25 feet of crops if you are organic (check

Handle CCA _very_ carefully - with adequate protection for hands and
if sawing use a mask, hat and goggles - bad stuff but lasts forever
and isn't expensive - use a fence post driver if available (3 point
hitch device - drive them in small end (sharpened if necessary) first.

A better choice would be cedar, locust or walnut - they will rot
eventually but can be easily replaced. Amazing how much usable
construction grade cedar is being bulldozed, burned or landfilled
these days in the wake of commercial/industrial/residential
development.

>the proposed National Standards regarding treated fence posts). I'd
>recommend an electric fence from Premier (email
>info AT premier1supplies.com) 319-653-6304 for a catalog. It's far less
>expensive than a wire fence, it's easy to put up and take down, move,
>etc., and you can use all steel fenceposts. I've been using them for 5
>years for deer and dairy cattle. If you don't want to get into
>heavy-duty fencebuilding, use an electric fence. It's the only way.
>Peter

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: Deer Problems, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 07/09/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Deer Problems, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 07/11/2000