market-farming - Re: salad mix laws

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: salad mix laws
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:16:57 -0400

On Wed, 17 May 2000 18:55:05 -0700, "Hook Family"
<guldann AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Are salad mix laws only for salad that is bagged? Many farm stands mix
>their various lettuces in bins which are in a refrige display and people
>self serve. Beth

I see no need to have to be held hostage over one's right livilihood
by a dumbed-down public protected by new laws and regs that cater
to idiots who don't have enough sense to wash food before eating it.

I was born in 1939 and have always known that you get what you
deserve if you don't wash fruit and vegs befors eating them raw or
cooking them. This is just SOP and common sense. This may apply
especially to organic produce these days as its in the news and
agribiz wants to discredit it but it particularly applies to
conventionally grown/packed/stored/shipped/retailed produce
with unknown quantities of dirt, filth, chemicals, insects,
microorganisms on or in it.

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill about
contamination of salad mix and sprouts (though that may be a
somewhat fifferent issue) - just label the packaged goods
washed-and-Ready-To-Eat, Washed or Unwashed - and as an afterthought:
certified organic, uncertified organic,
conventionally-grown-but-not-pesticides-used and conventionally grown
with chemical fertilizers and pesticides (why supermarkets are able to
get away with not doing this is beyond me) - then all consumers
should know exactly what they are getting and what they can expect.

Rant mode off, back to field to continue digging organic notill
permanent mandala-shaped raised beds in a fractal pattern
laid out across land contours to utilize drainage.

7" metalworking sidegrinders are great for sharpening
long handled sharp-pointed shovels for preparing raised beds.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: salad mix laws, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/17/2000