market-farming - Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:30:17 -0400

On Tue, 16 May 2000 04:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Lucy Goodman-Owsley
<goodows AT excite.com> wrote:

>> Local and what's-in-season is all important if you value the small
>> farmers in your locale. Why buy Calif/Fla/Texas/Mex when you can buy
>> locally, as long as all other factors are equal.
>>
>I agree with Lawerence 1,000,000% here. As a CSA grower I have found about
>95% of my CSA members take the local thing very, very seriously. As a
>Farmer's market grower I have found a far fewer customers care about it
>being local until I explain why buying local is important. After the short

Emphasis on buying from local growers is becoming a trend, hopefully a
national one. Here in Chapel Hill natural food stores are especially
interested in buying from _local_ growers (organic or not) as much as
they possibly can. They want local growers to know about this and to
work it out together, when possible, who grows what, when and for
sale to whom for maximum crop diversity and season extension;
avoid duplication of cropping (don't expect to sell all your tomatoes,
zucchini, etc, when everyone is growing them) and explore
possibilities for new crop varieties and crops that the store
especially wants.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/15/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/16/2000