market-farming - Re: succession planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: succession planting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:09:14 -0400

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:21:01 -0400, robert schuler
<sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Tillage is all of the above,Cover crops I till shallow at 2-4" deep with
>a 60" Howard rotavator to build a good biologically active zone for two

The farmer I hire to do all my tillage uses a HR only on areas I hand
dig to form notill permanent raised beds. Prior to that another farmer
I hire uses a large Soil Saver on all my production acerage (sites of
future hand dug raised beds). I own a litle less than six acres and am
depending on intensive methods to up production, reduce inputs,
recycle nutrients an biomass and reduce irrigation needs.

>weeks then this is deep plowed with moldboard, if they get away from me
>I bush hog them flush to ground until I can get back to them then disc
>and plow, around here most everybody uses raised beds except me, I find
>them too herbicide dependent, most my stuff is on single or narrow
>double rows, tool cultivated,I devote about 16 acres to vegetables,

Very interesting!

>there are about 500 small, mostly full time, farms under 100 acres
>commercially marketing in my county.

Get them connected to the Web and introduce them to this mailing list
(it's for all market growers, organic or not).

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: succession planting, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/12/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: succession planting, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/13/2000