market-farming - Re: Peeling Sod was Re: Tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Peeling Sod was Re: Tractor
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:44:59 -0500

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:13:46 -0500, Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
wrote:

>Right now, I'm digging the sod out, using a spade, then composting it
>for a year and adding it back in.

Excellent but delays using the garden space it is destined for.

>Are you suggesting turning it over and leaving it in place? I've done a
>bit of that, but of course it takes a while to decompose, so I have to
>wait a few mos. before planting in it.

Yes but chop it up and bury the turf away from light - mix with
compost, manure, rock powders and cover with mulch. This always works
well and gets your garden bed up and running quickly - you could go
ahead and plant a cover crop on it if its not quite ready for food
crops.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: Peeling Sod was Re: Tractor, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/10/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Peeling Sod was Re: Tractor, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/12/2000