market-farming - Re: Lowering PH Naturally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Lowering PH Naturally
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:53:42 -0500

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:05:21 -0800 (PST), Lucy Goodman-Owsley
<goodows AT excite.com> wrote:

>There are several things you can try Chris,
>Peat moss is acidic as is cottonseed meal. Lime sulfur sprayed on the area
>will lower the pH as will garden sulfur worked into the soil. I don't know
>the reccomended amounts but others probably do.
>mulching with pine needles and pine bark should also do the trick but that
>may take a while.

Landscape gardeners use rose dusting sulphur or wettable sulphur for
drenching rose bushes. This form of elemental sulphur is truly water
soluble but the kind you get in 50# bags for snake repellant is not
soluble. I used to use a mix of fish emulsion fertilizer, wettable
su;phur, ferrous sulphate as iron supplement and rootone in 5 gallons
of water to pour around transplanted, fully grown acid-loving shrubs
and trees or with out the rooting hormone and iron as a general
purpose fertilizer appled twice a year to established plantings.

Don't know if mixing fish emulsion and/or liquid seaweed with the
sulphur would be to any advantage but the water/sulphur mix would
be a good way to lower pH. You can also mix sulphur with rock or
colloidal phosphate and apply to garden soil - this will lower pH
_and_ enable quicker release of phosphorus to the soil.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu