market-farming - Agriculture bibliography Part 18

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography Part 18
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:00:09 -0500

Cooking With the Sun : How to Build and Use Solar Cookers
by Beth Halacy (Contributor), Dan Halacy Our Price: $7.96 You Save:
$1.99 (20%)
Usually ships in 2-3 days Paperback - (May 1992) 114 pages
Reviews Amazon.com Solar cooking is easy, free, and clean, and you
can build a
solar oven and a solar hot plate with a few dollars' worth of
materials and hand
tools. Cooking With the Sun gives simple directions for both, along
with a host
of
recipes -- pizza, chicken, pecan pie -- that will convince you that
low-tech is
the
way to go. Endorsed by the American Solar Energy Society and the
National
Renewable
Energy Laboratory. How-To Editor's Recommended Book Here's a way to
cook food
without the use of fuels and with no smoke or fumes--in your back
yard, in woods
where you can't build a fire, and while camping or traveling. Not only
do the
authors show you how to build your own solar cooker simply and
inexpensively,
with
detailed plans and suggestions for materials, they devote a good
proportion of
the
book to yummy-sounding recipes, too!
Customer Comments : jdhowell AT ix.netcom.com from Lafayette, CA ,
November 17,
1998
Simple solar ovens and "hot plates' made easy! Cooking with the Sun
is the only
book that gives a brief history of solar cooking and explains how to
construct
with
clear text, line drawings, and photos an oven that is as efficient as
the
expensive
commercial solar ovens. You can build it for under $25 in materials
and it will
reach 350 to 375 degrees F. The "hot plate" just like the burner on
your stove
top
is also easy to build and will reach temperatures of 650 degrees F
within
minutes.
You can fry, steam, grill, poach with instant heat The book offers all
you need
know to use solar cookers and over 90 recipes with resources. The
sales of this
book
has tripled since the awareness of the Y2K problem. People are looking
for easy
ways
to cook should they loose their power source. THE SOLAR STOVETOP
COOKER:
PATTERN,
ISNTRUCTIONS RECIPES ($12.00) is now available. This amazing product
allows you
build the fascinating "hot plate" with ease. It gives you all the
critical
angles so
there is no figuring to do. All you have to do is cut out the angles
and trace
them
onto cardboard and assemble the cooker. It can be built in a weekend.
It comes
with
an easy step-by-step instruction booklet with recipes, how-to
information, and
other
solar cooking resources. jbanks AT hsc.unt.edu from Texas , August 23,
1998
Excellent rewrite of an older book The original "Fun With The Sun"
(1961) by
Dan
Halacy has been revised and updated. The section on building a box
cooker has
been
completely rewritten and results in a more elegant and easily built
cooker. The
chapter on building a reflector cooker produces a more compact and
easier to
handle
unit but the construction involves a bit more work. The second half of
the book
is
devoted to some excellent recipes. I have tested several and found
them to be
very
good. This is an excellent book for teaching anyone to use our most
plentiful
energy
source.

Complete Book of Underground Houses : How to Build a Low-Cost Home
by Robert L. Roy, Rob Roy Our Price: $11.96 You Save: $2.99 (20%)
Usually ships
in
2-3 days Paperback - (November 1994) 144 pages
Reviews From Booklist , March 1, 1995 According to Roy, underground
or
"earth-sheltered" houses are unexpectedly livable. Judging by his
book's
attractive
pictures, that's easy to believe. The house he bases his
point-by-point guide on
is
indeed a showplace. Its homey touches are just that, though, and Roy's
main
concern
is creating such a house, from drawing up the plans to surveying the
site to the
actual building. Roy's instruction is insightful and comprehensive;
for example,
he
writes that he has poured the four-inch cement floor over the waste
plumbing in
all
the houses he has built and has had no trouble yet, but he also
suggests another
strategy for those leery of not being able to get at the pipes in an
emergency.
Throughout, he covers construction and installation details that are
extremely
important for nonprofessionals brave enough to undertake building
their own
homes.
Mike Tribby Copyright 1995, American Library Association. All rights
reserved
Synopsis Build a home in accord with nature--underground. Let one of
the
foremost
leaders of the underground house movement--and director of the
acclaimed
Earthwood
Building School--help you choose a piece of property and show you how
to build,
landscape, and enjoy your underground home. You'll find natural light
streaming
in
from above and the beauty of Mother Earth all around you. Booknews,
Inc. ,
June 1,
1995 Instead of marring a grassy knoll or field with the construction
of a
conventional house, you could design and build an environmentally
sound
underground
or earth-sheltered home. Roy, director of the Earthwood Building
School,
provides
detailed instructions, from choosing a piece of property to excavating
and
building
a home from top to bottom, with case studies, photos and diagrams, and
further
resources. Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or.

The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book
by Mike Oehler Our Price: $13.95 Back Ordered Paperback - (March
1982)
Customer
Comments : Jeff Frame from Atlanta, Georgia , January 8, 1999
Incredible
techniques for the advanced and novice Mike Oehler has created a
visionary
style of
underground architecture that is unparalleled to any before him in
this timeless
book. Recently I met Mike and we discussed the advantages to living
underground
and
also the problems. Mike has now lived underground in his self made
house for
over
twenty years. He is a brilliant man that lives a simple life in a very
much
confused
world. He is currently writing a book on the approaching millennium
problem and
how
to survive it. I am looking forward to the publishing of that book and
hope to
see
more from Mike. This book is definitely worth every penny even if you
never plan
on
building underground, I don't but love the book. A reader from South
Central
Ontario Canada , January 6, 1999 Not quite what I expected. An O.K.
read for
someone still stuck in the 60's. I found the 50 dollar house most
interesting in
design but the book done an about face and went from funky to far out
in it's
illustrations of various designs. Who on earth would keep a loaded gun
in a
house
where children seem to be occasional guests?(Check the pictures
closely and you
will
see what I mean). Ron AT UpstateWeb.com from Greenville, SC , November
1, 1998
Great
book-good pictures Good book...well thought out. Highly recommended.
Glad I
bought
it.

Earthship : How to Build Your Own
by Michael E. Reynolds Our Price: $19.96 You Save: $4.99 (20%) Usually
ships in
2-3
days Paperback - (September 1990)
Customer Comments : A reader from Seattle, WA , October 1, 1998
Amazing
Building
Method Using Car Tires and Aluminum Cans These books are way ahead of
their
time.
The author first describes the idea of a self-contained "earthship" --
a home
that
provides for it's own power, sewage, food and water needs. He then
talks about
the
structure, the ideas behind it, and why it works. The rest of the book
is all
about
how to actually build one. Don't pass this up, once you get the idea
in your
head,
you'll want to build one of your own!

Earthship : Systems and Components
by Michael Reynolds Our Price: $19.96 You Save: $4.99 (20%)
Usually ships in 24
hours Paperback - (November 1991)

Earthship : Evolution Beyond Economics
by Mike Reynolds Our Price: $19.96 You Save: $4.99 (20%) Usually ships
in 24
hours
Paperback - (September 1993)

The Independent Home : Living Well With Power from the Sun, Wind, and
Water (A
Real
Goods Independent Living Book)
by Michael Potts, John Schaeffer (Designer) Our Price: $15.96 You
Save: $3.99
(20%)
Usually ships in 24 hours Paperback - (October 1993) 224 pages
Reviews How-To
Editor's Recommended Book Whether you already own a home or plan to
build one,
The
Independent Home will show you how to transform it into an
energy-efficient,
comfortable, self-sustainable home of the future-- right now. Michael
Potts's
home
has been featured on the ABC evening news as an example of the sane
approach to
simple living; he demonstrates how one can live well, save money, save
resources,
and still retain modern conveniences and comfort. The Independent Home
proves
that
it is not necessary to live in mud-floored huts and cook brown rice
over a
campfire
to go back to the land. From Booklist , October 15, 1993 An
instructive guide
living without the electric and gas companies, by Potts and
interviewees who
have
broken from the "power grid." The homes of people interviewed are far
from
primitive, containing all the conveniences of modern life, though
there is the
occasional cold shower. Potts advocates a return not to nature, but to
a more
independent time, and that's accomplished here mostly by
college-educated people
who
like doing things for themselves. Their experiences are as instructive
from a
social
point of view (a sort of enviro-ethic meets Yankee pragmatism) as for
the many
possible ways of converting your house to energy independence. Potts
also
suggests
home improvements for energy savings in existing homes, as well as
explanations
of
how our appliances, heating, and air-conditioning systems do--and
don't--work
from
an energy point of view. A commonsense approach to energy
self-reliance. Brian
McCombie Copyright 1993, American Library Association. All rights
reserved
The
author, Michael Potts : : mpotts AT solarnet.org , August 31, 1996 We can
all learn
from renewable energy pioneers It took me 20 years to get ready to
write my
book
-- tinkering, visiting, figuring arcane technology out -- it is SO
much easier
now!
But independent homesteaders offer us all lessons on using our energy
better. We
waste half the energy we buy, while they, who carefully harvest every
electron,
teaspoon of water, and therm of heat, strive to waste as little as
possible.
This
work reconnects them with the planet in ways we all need to emulate as
the last
fossil fuel energy crisis takes us over. There are important lessons
in my book
about phantom loads, free energy sources, and small habit changes that
have
helped
many "on-the-gridders" reduce their energy bills by 30% - 60% --
enough to buy a
new
copy of my book (and give it to a friend) every month! I am
continuing the work
and
planning a new book for the rest of us, who in the next 20 years will
have to
reform
our own domestic energy use. Please visit my web page:
www.solarnet.org for
ideas
and to help me gather the best energy tips.
Customer Comments : jboett AT wcnet.net from Houston, Texas , December
18, 1998
Enjoyable and informative book I found Living Well to be a pleasure
to read,
and as
the author Michael Potts stated above, helpful even for
"on-the-gridders" in
reducing their energy consumption and bills. I am currently planning
on building
an
on-the-grid house (a house that depends on the local power company for
its
power),
but found the book very helpful in our designing for energy
efficiency. The book
also bolstered my confidence in doing some things with the house that
are
unusual
for our area. I look at homemade energy now with a new hope and
enthusiasm and
would
recommend this book to anyone. Who knows? I might try a photovoltaic
cell or two
as
a result.... A reader, October 9, 1996 Required reading for all
homosapiens!
Because of my total infatuation with the first book (I'm assuming,
first) I
would
get the next without question. Occasionally, this is a mistake, but I
don't
think it
will be a disappointment. Please quote anything from me regarding how
great I
think
this work is. I find the book an escape on the line of the old, big
Sears
catalogs
that we called the "wish book" when I was a kid. An often somewhat dry
subject
spiced with real people living the "life." I have read and re-read it
many
times. I
hope for a sequel that depicts the continuing state of the art and the
folks he
interviewed 5 years later. A style with the technical interspersed
with the
personalities is very refreshing. It's like learning while reading
People
Magazine.
I felt myself wanting to read more about the people and their
feelings. Where
Potts
injected his opinions, this made me want to read more of what he
thought about
the
life styles and conditions he visited. His opinions about the building
departments
and regulatory agencies were right on! I wanted to go storm the local
building
Department with his book in hand as ammunition.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography Part 18, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000