market-farming - Agriculture bibliography Part 16

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography Part 16
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:56:56 -0500

Rodale's Low-Maintenance Gardening Techniques : Shortcuts and
Time-Saving Hints
for
Your Greatest Garden Ever
by Barbara W. Ellis, Joan Benjamin, Deborah L. Martin List Price:
$27.95 Our
Price:
$19.57 You Save: $8.38 (30%) Availability: This title usually ships
within 2-3
days. Hardcover - 374 pages (June 1995) Rodale Pr; ISBN: 0875966411
;
Dimensions
(in inches): 1.17 x 10.32 x 8.34
Reviews Synopsis A guide to planning and planting a beautiful,
bountiful
garden
includes all-organic, low-work techniques for building healthy soil
and hundreds
of
ideas for easy-care plants and gardens in a "tips" format that is easy
follow.
Customer Comments Average Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 1 A
reader from
Greenville, South Carolina , November 3, 1998 Ingenious techniques
and
easy-to-follow illustrations For new homeowners or experienced
gardeners, this
book
is filled with simple, ingenious techniques for landscaping with a
minimum of
sweat,
time, and natural resources. In addition to covering flowers,
vegetables,
shrubs,
trees, and other plant types, the book has a most useful section on
lawns and
groundcovers. It also includes information on pruning and other
techniques. The
layout is user-friendly, and the illustrations are plentiful and easy
to follow.
Nearly everyone who comes to my house asks to borrow this book!

Successful Small-Scale Farming : An Organic Approach
by Karl Schwenke, Ben Watson (Editor) List Price: $14.95 Our Price:
$11.96 You
Save: $2.99 (20%) Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Paperback - 144
pages 2nd edition (April 1991) Storey Books; ISBN: 0882666428 ;
Dimensions (in
inches): 0.43 x 10.88 x 8.56
Customer Comments Average Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 2 A
reader from
Chicago area , November 24, 1998 Fair but basic coverage of the topic
For the
person unfamiliar with agriculture, this book has some value. It
covers the
field
(pun intended) from about the 50,000 foot level. For additional
information, the
reader will have to get specific books on what was covered in a
paragraph or two
in
this book. A reader , June 3, 1997 If you read it, you will farm!
Or you'll
run
elsewhere FAST. If you're thinking of small scale commercial farming,
this is
the
book for you! If you know about soil and crop rotation and yields and
harvest
logistics, there's still plenty of information about equipment and
storage and
seeds
and... If you don't know about those things, this book is the place
to start.
With
the information here and a little current market research, (ie. surf
the web for
20
minutes to get prices,) you can write a complete farm business plan.
Well
written,
clear and to the point, it's full of tips and tricks to make your
venture a
success.
It would be a bargain at ten times the price! (And I'm a hard grader.)

The Contrary Farmer
by Gene Logsdon List Price: $16.95 Our Price: $13.56 You Save: $3.39
(20%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 288 pages
(June 1995)
Chelsea Green Pub Co; ISBN: 0930031741 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.65
x 8.98 x
6.01
Reviews How-To Editor's Recommended Book Gene Logsdon offers an
alternative to
the
decline of the family farm by explaining how to successfully engage in
what he
calls
"cottage farming" part-time for enjoyment as well as profit. This book
gives
readers
the tools and information they need to grow their own food in a
sustainable and
Earth-friendly fashion, but it also tells some great, hilarious
stories and
includes
some truly beautiful and evocative writing. This is not a dry,
"how-to" book;
it's a
really great read even if you haven't a clue about (or any interest
in) farming.
>From Booklist , April 15, 1994 No learned gentleman farmer, Logsdon
earns his
moments of lyricism by analyzing at length the daily demands on the
cottage
farmer
(one whose holdings are much smaller than the 50 acres that economists
deem
"small"). He recommends alternatives: ways to avoid backbreaking work,
to use
gardens to test prospective crops, to ameliorate the "gruesome" tasks
of
butchering
and tail docking, to access water for irrigation, to avoid the
pitfalls of
"controlled rational grazing," to determine the most functional crop
for the
working
cottage farm (it's corn), and so on. All this by a man who also reads
widely and
has
a down-home sense of humor, as well as no reluctance to express his
opinions. So
if
at first you think that these farming essays are too technical for
you, you're
wrong. "Yeah, I could do that--avoid buying gadgets I don't need, be a
lender
rather
than a borrower, live near a village where I can buy a home for
$40,000," we
muse,
even if eventually we hear from Logsdon that we must "learn to fix
cars and
tractors" ourselves, and sigh, "Too much, too much." Logsdon deserves
a larger
audience than he will probably get. Roland Wulbert Copyright 1994,
American
Library
Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print
or
unavailable edition of this title.
Customer Comments : A reader from South Lyon, Michigan, USA , October
13, 1998
Very, Very Good! A classic! The Contrary Farmer is very informative
about small
scale farming. Logsdon has many creative and interesting ideas. The
book
interlaces
information with good stories and philosophizing. It is often rather
humorous.
Overall, it is perhaps one of the most enjoyable farming books on the
market, if
not
THE most enjoyable. This is true whether you farm or whether you are
only
interested
in farming. Very highly recommended! joeyrosa AT cari.net from San
Diego, CA ,
July
19, 1998 Agriculture with Attitude! Mr. Logsdon's wisdom and simple
common
sense
(not so common anymore!) give all us "Contrarians" a little support.
In a world
of
full of farmers that follow the edicts of the
chemical-company-supported
extension
services and consultants it is a relief to hear from someone who does
it the old
fashioned way, which is the only way for a farmer without thousands of
acres and
millions of dollars to succeed. A great primer on the foolish basis
for our
economic system which ignores the primary industry of any
civilization: farming.
My
only reservations came from personal biases that we don't share. I
don't really
fault him for these things, it just made me value the book a shade
less. I have
passed it on to my most "contrary" friends who have an interest in
farming or
the
earth. jchamber AT unlinfo.unl.edu from Adams, Nebraska USA , January
8, 1998
One
you pick up over and over again. Contains both very practical
information on
small
scale farming with intellectually stimulating analyses of rural
society. One of
my
must have around books. A reader from Corwin Springs, Montana ,
August 20,
1997
Full of humor and labor-saving tips. Table of Contents: The Ramparts
People; 1.
At
Ease with the Work of Farming; 2. Pastoral Economics; 3. The Garden is
the
Proving
Ground for the Farm; 4. The Peaceable Kingdom of the Barnyard; 5.
Water Power;
6. A
Paradise of Meadows; 7. Groves of Trees to Live In; 8. King Corn; 9.
Cottage
Mechanics; 10. Winter Wheat, Spring Oats, Summer Clover, Fall Pasture;
Books the
Contrary Farmer Treasures; Index

The Contrary Farmer's Invitation to Gardening
by Gene Logsdon List Price: $16.95 Our Price: $13.56 You Save: $3.39
(20%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 242 pages
(June 1997)
Chelsea Green Pub Co; ISBN: 0930031962 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.63
x 9.07 x
6.08
Reviews : How-To Editor's Recommended Book Gene Logsdon has done it
again! One
of
his earlier books, The Contrary Farmer, is one of the most moving,
sensible,
readable books about sustainable farming on the market. Now Logsdon
successfully
applies that wry wit, wisdom, and storytelling faculty to gardening.
The result
is a
perceptive and inspirational volume: it is nearly impossible to resist
dreaming
about getting out there and raising your own food after reading this
intelligent,
enjoyable book. Logsdon's voice is utterly personal and sensible: he
uses his
experiences as well as tales of people he knows to point out
absurdities of
modern
agricultural horticultural silliness. This same humor and
clear-headedness are
employed in considering the futility of industrialized farming,
pesticide use,
and
the highly destructive methods of corporate and commercial farming and
gardening.
Gene Logsdon breaks down the garden walls and celebrates the side of
gardening
that
isn't a finicky, style-obsessed, and expensive hobby but rather a
hilarious,
sensual, and endlessly satisfying way of life. The borders of the
contrary
garden
are limited only by the imagination. Why should "crops" be merely
common
vegetables?
Why not wheat? Why not the pigeons on the rafters of the barn, or
bluegills and
edible cattails from your own homestead pond? This is Gene Logsdon at
his
provocative best. Frequently irreverent, but always optimistic and
practical, he
uses the tools of good humor and common sense to smash conventional
gardening to
smithereens. Customer Comments : ananda AT pioneer.net from Blodgett,
OR ,
January
4, 1998 Hilarious, insightful, and brilliant Gene Logsdon's
thoughts on
gardening
are jewels of wisdom and humor, as usual. He's one of those rare
writers who can
take the reader deep into unimagined worlds under the surface of a
topic,
exploring
whimsical and practical concepts of farming/gardening. Buy this book!
You'll
read it
BR to tatters and beg for more. I'm giving copies to every gardener I
know.

You Can Go Home Again : Adventures of a Contrary Life
by Gene Logsdon List Price: $22.95 Our Price: $16.07 You Save: $6.88
(30%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Hardcover - 224 pages
(November
1998)
Indiana Univ Pr; ISBN: 0253334195 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.81 x
8.72 x 5.70
Reviews From Booklist , October 1, 1998 Logsdon--the contrary farmer,
as one of
his
earlier (1994) books' title styles him--offers warmth and insight in
his
autobiography. He describes the pressures that compelled him to leave
the Ohio
farm
of his childhood for seminary training and the epiphany that propelled
him back
secular life to pursue the dream of returning to the lifestyle of his
childhood.
He
discusses the slow death of the agrarian lifestyle at the hands of
agribusiness
and
clearly delineates the economic and political forces destroying small
farming in
America. But he doesn't just talk. For years he has lived the contrary
lifestyle
he
advocates, using ecologically informed farming techniques and the
agricultural
wisdom of his background on a sustainable, highly profitable 32-acre
"garden
farm"
in the valley in which he grew up. And he provides not just a
fascinating
glimpse of
a lifestyle that has nearly disappeared but also a blueprint for those
who want
lead a similar way of life. The simpler life is within our reach--if
we will
choose
it. Bonnie Johnston Copyright 1998, American Library Association. All
rights
reserved Synopsis Gene Logsdon's story embodies both the
frustration and
longing
so many individuals feel as they search for their essential selves and
harmonious
life. The measure of his courage--and contrariness--is that he has
been
successful.
In "You Can Go Home Again", he tells readers what has motivated him
and what
success
has meant.
The author, Gene Logsdon , October 21, 1998 I try to consider deeper
thoughts.
Dear
readers of my books: Thanks to all of you for buying my droll musings
about
life
beyond the parking lots. Without you, my wife and I would have to get
government
welfare assistance like all the millionaire farmers do. Thanks
especially to
those
who have taken the time to write nice reviews. Sometimes my nose gets
so high up
in
the air I can hardly work this damn computer. I notice one reviewer
describes
our
farming as "highly profitable." It is highly profitable in human
values, which I
presume is what the reviewer meant, but the amount of cash money we
make from it
is
pretty small potatoes. Our potatoes are rather small too, come to
think of it.
My
latest book, YOU CAN GO HOME AGAIN, is a little different from most of
the
earlier
ones in that I try to consider deeper thoughts. Deeper than potatoes.
I manage
insult institutional religion, institution education, commercial
journalism, and
commercial agribusiness, which probably means that I will lose what
few friends
have remaining. I notice that Amazon now carries another new book of
mine (with
Steve Zender, my good friend) called THE BIG THINGS IN LIFE ARE THE
LITTLE
THINGS.
You won't hear much about this one because we published it ourselves
and can't
afford to advertise it much. If you want to learn what life in all its
humor,
charm
and sadness is really like in rural areas and small villages, this is
a good
book to
start with. I get lots of requests for my old, out of print books.
Sometimes
Powell
on the Internet has some. I am trying to get my publishers to reissue
these
books
with, finally, a bit of success. My older WILDLIFE IN THE GARDEN will
be out
next
year, updated, and with some changes to make you laugh while the deer
eat your
shrubbery. I wanted to retitle it "Wild In the Garden" and add a
chapter on nude
gardening, but my publishers are such killjoys. Sincerely, Gene
Logsdon

At Nature's Pace; Farming and the American Dream
by Gene Logsdon, Wendell Berry (Introduction) THIS TITLE IS
CURRENTLY NOT
AVAILABLE. The publisher is out of stock. If you would like to
purchase this
title,
we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it's been
reprinted.
Paperback (March 1995) Pantheon Books; ISBN: 0679758445 ; Dimensions
(in
inches):
0.66 x 8.01 x 5.20
Reviews From Booklist , February 15, 1994 Logsdon is as impersonal as
politician
seeking office in these essays on the small commercial farmer. The
operant word
is
commercial, for Logsdon is no gentleman farmer. Although he writes
about the
spiritual rewards of farming, he always counterposes to them the
thoroughly
material
woes suffered by the small "food and fiber producer"--his term for
farmer. Such
attention to terminology bespeaks Logsdon's resistance to the
conventional
wisdoms
of the agribusiness executive, the noble ecological farmer, and even
his
constituency, the vanishing commercial farmer. It indicates, too,
three
pervasive
features of his writing: tough-mindedness, historical perspective, and
close
attention to particularities. Thus, when he discusses the decline of
the small
commercial farmer, he invokes not some vague urban alienation but the
changing
curriculum in the department of agriculture at Ohio State; and when he
writes
about
small farmers, he describes in detail--skillfully enough to shame most
professional
ethnographers--extended conversations in the Pour House restaurant. So
we take
seriously his prophecy that small farming will revive. Even should it
fail, his
writing documents with rare honesty and perspicacity a calling that
has become
all
but invisible to most of us. Roland Wulbert Copyright 1994, American
Library
Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print
or
unavailable edition of this title. From Kirkus Reviews , December
15, 1993 The
author (Two Acre Eden, 1971) has written a good deal about farming in
books and
articles, and these essays (1980-92) were written, by Logsdon's own
admission,
``out
of anger'' at the decline of rural society, the result, he believes,
of ``a
nation's
greed.'' Here he targets some root causes--from educational, media and
governmental
malfeasances. In 1986 Logsdon took on some of the thorny matters
leading to
``agricultural suicide'': the emphasis on surplus, insuring market
glut;
interest-rate devilment; and particularly the 70's boom psychology,
then the
lowering inflation, undercutting the paper- rich farmer who'd learned
to borrow
money, buy a farm and buy another when the price rose. In a 1980
essay, Logsdon
has
an instructive imaginary dialogue with three model farmers--
``agribusiness'';
the
middle-income farmer; and--the happiest--the small farmer. (Definitely
teacher's
pet, this last is the skilled farmer like the Amish variety Logsdon
admires:
doesn't
borrow or buy new equipment, rotates crops, uses no herbicide, etc.)
In other
essays, Logsdon comes down heavily on the side of the small-scale
farm, which
diversifies with complementary, independent farm units. He has
pleasant things
say about horses and old tools, all economically sound. He is
merciless, though,
in
his precision- bombing of the colleges of agriculture, mere ``havens
for
golf-turf
science'' and for the waste of soil through heavy machinery, toxic
chemicals,
and
erosion. The closing essays are nice appreciations of woodcutters'
pleasures and
of
viewing the acres (Logsdon paces his in Ohio.) With an introduction by
poet
Wendell
Berry, a sturdy blast for the rural life. Good reading for farmers and
Aggie
majors
and for those who might ponder, as consumers, Logsdon's caveat: ``It
is cheaper
raise a zucchini in your garden than on your megafarm.'' -- Copyright
1993,
Kirkus
Associates, LP. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of
print or
unavailable edition of this title. Book Description Now in
paperback,
seminal,
environmental and agricultural essays by the acclaimed journalist and
Ohio
farmer,
Gene Logsdon, who has written regularly for publications such as
Orion, Whole
Earth
Review, Mother Jones, The Utne Reader, Organic Gardening, and New
Farm.
Synopsis
Now in paperback, seminal, environmental and agricultural essays by
the
acclaimed
journalist and Ohio farmer, Gene Logsdon, who has written regularly
for
publications
such as Orion, Whole Earth Review, Mother Jones, The Utne Reader,
Organic
Gardening,
and New Farm. Synopsis A collection of essays on the decline of
rural society
and
the need for agricultural reform explains why today's single-crop
megafarms are
headed toward an economic and biological crisis. 10,000 first
printing. Tour.
--This
text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Customer
Comments Average Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 1
jgarriso AT mail.mlmc.utah.edu
from Salt Lake City, Utah , November 17, 1997 It's been done before,
but rarely
better than this. Gene Logsdon, writing from anger and experience,
has put
together
a collection of poignant, and persistent essays. His discomfort
follows you long
after you have envisioned a strip of grains from the midwest to
Florida, the
workings of dung beetles, and the mission of the "contrary farmer."
Logsdon
gives
insight into the weaknesses of industrial agriculture and how its woes
are most
painfully obvious in rural communities. Such a reasonable subject is
rarely
taken on
so furiously and so well...Logsdon has become a spokesman worthy of
friend
Wendell
Berry's praise as the finest of the farmer essayists.

Rfd
by Charles Allen Smart, Gene Logsdon Our Price: $17.95 Availability:
This
title
usually ships within 2-3 days. Paperback - 288 pages Reprint edition
(October
1998)
Ohio Univ Pr (Trd); ISBN: 082141254X ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.77 x
7.45 x
4.97
Reviews : Charles Allen Smart was a New York novelist and prep-school
teacher
when
he inherited his aunt's farm in 1935. He and his wife moved into the
rustic
stone
farmhouse in remote southern Ohio, determined to combine their lives
as working
farmers with their literary-intellectual life and political
progressivism. Smart
conveys the feel of their lives at a time when "living in the country"
was a
meaningful distinction in America. RFD (derived from the old
rural-free delivery
postal designation) was a best-seller in 1938; this new paperback
edition
features
an insightful foreword by noted Ohio farm writer Gene Logsdon. Told
with
sensitivity, gusto, and a fierce honesty, RFD ultimately is about one
couple's
earliest, joyful attempt to live meaningful lives.

Gene Logsdon's Practical Skills : A Revival of Forgotten Crafts,
Techniques, and
Traditions
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0878575774 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.
Customer Comments : Anita Evangelista (ale AT townsqr.com) from Missouri
Hillbilly
Ozarks , December 9, 1998 Super information in a very readable format
Gene
Logsdon's book is my all-time favorite useful title, with plenty of
pictures and
simple descriptions of the skills. When we moved "back to the farm"
(actually,
we'd
been raised in Los Angeles, and were just starting out in a
self-sufficient
life-style), this book was literally a lifesaver. We're building a
privy now,
using
some Logsdon ideas -- I can't thank this guy enough! Crystal Jensen
~weber AT midwest.net~ from Illinois/Missouri , August 23, 1998 Common
Sense
Everyday
Skills For Survival If you want a book to help you through tough
times cheaply,
this is it! An emergency situation may cause books such as this one to
be a life
saver. You can find it on Bibliofind & other online used book shops.
Covers:
1.
Maintaining & Repairing House Items 2. Home Comfort: Buying a Wood
Stove;
Getting
the most heat from fireplaces; Running Water. The Hydrolic Ram. 3.
Making and
Making Do 4. Food Prep: Milk from the cow to the fridge; Homemade
Butter,
Butchering a chicken, Hog Butchering, Practical Wild Foods. 5. Yard &
Garden:
Things To Build & Maintain A Practical Privy, Septic Tank principals,
cistern,
dry
stone walls & fences, building Icehouse Coolers, A Wood heated fruit
dryer
(dehydrator) Garden Skills: Hoemanship, Low Cost Hothouse frame,
Homemade bug
fighters. 6. Around The Barn: Basic Construction & Livestock Tips.
7. On The
Land:
In The Fields: A Farm is a large garden OR a garden is a small farm.
Tools for
small
Time gardens. (NOTE: I just hit the "basics of this book.) I have
used several
of
his ideas: One was how to keep a mile long gravel road from "washing"
out using
gravel trench type drain with 2 railroad ties filled with loose rock.
I weigh
100
lbs. soaking wet, am a female, & can honestly say this book is high on
my list
for
learning practical skills! CJ

Gene Logsdon's Moneysaving Secrets : A Treasury of Salvaging,
Bargaining,
Recycling,
and Scavenging Techniques
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 087857624X Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

Homesteading; How to Find New Independence on the Land.
by Gene. Logsdon ASIN: 0878570683 Availability: This title is out
of print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

Getting Food from Water : A Guide to Background Aquaculture
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0878572325 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

The Low-Maintenance House
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0878577181 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

Organic Orcharding
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0878573569 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

Small-scale grain raising
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0878571477 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.
Customer Comments : Pete Kinyon (gkinyo01 AT shepherd.wvnet.edu) from
Shepherdstown,
WV , February 24, 1998 Excellent Reference Book Logsdon provides the
expertise
needed plant, grow, harvest, and store all common (and some uncommon)
grains
using a
low level of technology. If you want to know how to raise your own
grains
without
major equipment - THIS IS THE BOOK. At least some of this knowledge is
in danger
of
being lost. An EXCELLENT reference book! --This text refers to an out
of print
or
unavailable edition of this title.

Successful Berry Growing; How to Plant, Prune, Pick, and Preserve Bush
and Vine
Fruits.
by Gene. Logsdon ASIN: 0878570896 Availability: This title is out
of print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

Two Acre Eden
by Gene. Logsdon ASIN: 0878572902 Availability: This title is out
of print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

The Last Days of a Farmer : A Personal Account
by Gene Logsdon ASIN: 0865473773 Availability: This title is out of
print.
Although it is no longer available from the publisher, we'll query our
network
of
used bookstores for you and send an update within one to two weeks.

How to Grow More Vegetables : Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other
Crops
by John Jeavons List Price: $16.95 Our Price: $13.56 You Save: $3.39
(20%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback 5th edition
(October
1995)
Ten Speed Pr; ISBN: 0898157676 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.67 x 10.92
x 8.47
Reviews
Amazon.com Now in its fifth edition and printed in seven different
languages,
Jeavon's book is considered a classic in the field (literally) and has
brought
about
a kind of green revolution in food production around the world. This
book is
based
on Alan Chadwick's biointensive gardening techniques. It will show you
how to
raise
enough fresh, healthy, organic vegetables for a family of four on a
parcel of
land
as small as 800 square feet! Nothing could be more fundamental to the
needs of
an
increasingly crowded world than food. Jeavons and the group he heads,
Ecology
Action, are making a quiet but earth-shaking revolution in how people
raise
nutritious food. If you have a small, flat rooftop, access to a bit
of open
space
between your house and your neighbor's, or any small patch of land,
here's the
ultimate how-to manual for making the most of it to raise your own
food,
including
ways to enhance soil fertility and productivity, non-chemical pest
controls,
where
and when to plant what in your climate or location, the tools you'll
need, and
the
problem-solving skills essential to success. This "ground-breaking"
book is used
by
gardeners around the globe and is as hopeful, inspiring, and
motivating a
gardening
book as has ever been written. --Mark Hetts
Customer Comments : Jim Coombs (zog AT ime.net) from Maine, USA , July
14, 1998 A
book
that unlocks knowledge long needed in today's society This book is
not just
about
growing more vegetables in the vein of "Throw some more fertilizer on
in the
garden!" This book is about a way of life, a philosophy. It gives one
a whole
systems view of healthy, living soil creation and plant growing. When
one reads,
absorbs and applies the material, it becomes almost a religious
experience. A
reader from Long Beach, CA , May 13, 1998 The best book for starting
vegetable
garden. Like a bible. If you're starting a garden from scratch or
know nothing
about gardening, this book is a great way to begin. If you're an
accomplished
gardener and want to learn more about composting, companion planting,
and
improving
sustainability of your garden, this is a wonderful book. I use it and
read it
over
and over again. It's a wealth of information. The bibliography alone
is worth
the
price of the book. Gregory Leiber (gleiber AT pobox.com) from Oregon,
USA , May
6,
1998 Best Introduction To Biodynamic/French Intensive Gardening I
learned
organic
gardening principles by reading the first edition of this book back in
the mid
'70s
while I was living in Santa Cruz, California. I have been practicing
the
techniques
outlined in the book for over twenty years now and all I can say is
that it
really
works. I'm on my fourth garden started from scratch using BioIntensive
techniques:
2,500 square feet with 18 double-dug raised beds. The soil at the
beginning was
covered with low weeds and was heavy clay with a lot of small and
medium-size
rocks.
That was seven years ago...Now the soil is a rich loam with plenty of
organic
matter
and crawling with the biggest worms you ever saw! (We have
before-and-after
pictures
that say it all...). We use a "U-Bar" most of the time to dig the
beds; it's not
much slower than a rototiller and we can still "double-dig" a bed with
a spade
and
fork if we want to. Pest problems are minimal, the yields are
substantial and
the
produce is the tastiest I've ever had. In 1981 I began teaching
workshops on
the
method and I have seen similar results among the students who adopted
these
techniques in their own gardens. I heartily recommend this book to
anyone who
wishes
to get started in organic gardening and is looking for a book that
brings
together
the basic concepts and techniques in one volume. A reader , June 15,
1997
homestead gardener's constant companion for raising food John
Jeavons' handbook
guides you through the details of raising high-quality food while
improving the
health of the soil. This bible of biointensive techniques is
homestead-friendly.
Whether your garden plot is rural or urban, measured in acres or
paces,
brand-new or
well-established, Jeavons' book works as a reference manual, a
planning tool,
and a
problem-solver. My copy is dirty and dog-eared from years of use. The
planting
tables and charts are a great resource wherever your garden lives.
Havi Hoffman
Vegetable Gardens

The Backyard Homestead : Mini Farm and Garden Log Book
by John Jeavons, J. Mogador Griffin, Robin Leler Our Price: $16.95
Availability:
Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback (April 1983) Ecology Action
of the;
ISBN:
0898150930
Customer Comments : A reader from Priest River, ID , August 21, 1998
Excellent
log
book and reference guide for food gardeners. This book explains
biointensive
gardening, which would be enough to recommend it. But, it also
provides abundant
planning charts for your own situation, including garden space and
layout,
length of
growing season, frost dates, and desired crops. You can keep records
of
cultivars
chosen and how they did (over several seasons), fertilizers used and
the
results,
planting dates and methods. There's a whole year planning calendar
with log
pages in
the back, a schedule for planting based on YOUR frost dates, and log
pages for
each
type of veg. or other crop. Also included are recommendations for an
herbal
lawn,
fruit trees, and small livestock, reference data for many different
crops, and
tons
more. Publishing date is 1983, but it's not one bit outdated. Get this
book!

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography Part 16, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000