market-farming - Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 22:00:16 -0500

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:45:33 -0800, "Michaele Blakely"
<mjb AT premier1.net> wrote:

>The one structure I always maintain is to have birds at
>least once on the beds during the year, hopefully twice.

How do you deal with pathogens in the manure. Do you dig it in,
mix it with other material (or finished compost) to be composted in
situ, plant cover crops into it or mix rock powders and garden biomass
with it for composting (and easier release of micronutrients from the
rock powders)?

Based on the article I Xposted earlier I would think applying rock
phosphate and other rock powders plus grass/weed/garden clippings
to the area left behind by the CT (with light or no tillage), then
planting red clover into it might be a productive scheme to enrich
soil and build tilth.
Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
metalab.unc.edu/market-farming Market Farming
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Re: Poultry on Pasture FAQ, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/06/2000