machinist - [machinist] Morse taper draw bar to tang - capscrew in end of MT2-arbor-for-drawbar for lathe tailstock bump out

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org, Lawrence London <avantgeard@gmail.com>, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [machinist] Morse taper draw bar to tang - capscrew in end of MT2-arbor-for-drawbar for lathe tailstock bump out
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 15:05:36 -0400

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/morse-taper-draw-bar-tang-148009/

Morse taper draw bar to tang - capscrew in end of MT2-arbor-for-drawbar for lathe tailstock bump out and other useful information

  1. #1
    neilca is offline Aluminum
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Morse taper draw bar to tang

    I purchased a set of chucks for my lathe. The have a #2 MT and are made to use a drawbar, 3/8-16. I want to use them without the draw bar in the tailstock. However if I were to put them in the tail stock I am afraid I will never be able to remove them because they are missing the tang that bumps on the back of the tailstock when it is retracked fully.

    Before I start making these threaded tangs I thought I would post to see if there is a source where I can buy them. Anybody know of such a product?

    Thanks,
    neilca
  2. #2
    starbolin's Avatar
    starbolin is offline Stainless
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Far Northern California, USA
    Posts
    1,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    264
    Likes (Received)
    138

    If a socket head cap screw doesn't work then a piece of all-thread cut to the right length should do the trick.
  3. #3
    bikebuilder is offline Stainless
    Feb 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Put it in 'soft' and see if it pops out when retracted.... might work anyways.

    bb
  4. #4
    neilca is offline Aluminum
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Bike builder,
    I tried putting it in soft. It would not come out. I used a piece of metal on the outside to limit the travel of the chuck and it came out. I guess I could use a fork like device on the outside and hope it doesn't come off the chuck taper side.

    Starbolin,
    Good thought, not as pretty as a screw in tang but effective.

    Thanks,
  5. #5
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Posts
    373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    those tapers are ment for a jig bore

    chuck up some MS, turn a 3/8 thread on one side and turn a nice little stub turn dia to same thickness of a reg morse#3 tang)

    put some mild lock-tite on the threads and screw them into your tapers with a pipe wrench (bingo, screw on tang)

    alot more professional than a shitty peice of ready rod....you could even do the same with some 4140 and harden it with a torch...whatever rocks your boat eh
  6. #6
    Carl Darnell is offline Titanium
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Taylorsville Ky
    Posts
    3,122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    32

    neilca, starbolin had the way to make them work. If you put a 3/8" cap screw long enough to have the hand wheel pop the taper out you can use them in the tail stock. You don't have to locktite them in because you may want to use the drawbar with them.

    BTW, they are not called collets, they are called end mill holders or drill holders. If you use a drill in them you will have to grind a flat on the drill shank to keep them from spinning. As a matter of fact anything you use in them will have to have a flat under the set screw to keep it from spinning.

  • [machinist] Morse taper draw bar to tang - capscrew in end of MT2-arbor-for-drawbar for lathe tailstock bump out, Lawrence London, 06/09/2019