machinist - [machinist] I need hydraulic fluid recommendation for Lempco hydraulic press - tnx in advance

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] I need hydraulic fluid recommendation for Lempco hydraulic press - tnx in advance
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 20:20:10 -0400

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/i-need-hydraulic-fluid-recommendation-lempco-hydraulic-press-tnx-advance-162699/

  1. #1
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    110

    I need hydraulic fluid recommendation for a Lempco hydraulic press.

    Off the label on the machine:

    Lempco Products, Inc.
    Bedford, Ohio

    Series 600-A
    Capacity 25T

    "Fill hydraulic reservoir with:

    Gargoyle DTE Light
    or
    MOBILOIL ARCTIC SPECIAL
    or equal products of SOCONY VACUUM Co., NY, USA

    Do not use hydraulic brake or shock absorber fluid or hydraulic jack oil."

    I have tractor hydroil, don't know if that would be appropriate.

    Many thanks for any suggestions about this.

    Lawrence
    lflj@intrex.net

  2. #2
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by LFLondon View Post

    I need hydraulic fluid recommendation for a Lempco hydraulic press.

    Off the label on the machine:

    Lempco Products, Inc.
    Bedford, Ohio

    Series 600-A
    Capacity 25T

    "Fill hydraulic reservoir with:

    Gargoyle DTE Light
    or
    MOBILOIL ARCTIC SPECIAL
    or equal products of SOCONY VACUUM Co., NY, USA

    Do not use hydraulic brake or shock absorber fluid or hydraulic jack oil."

    I have tractor hydroil, don't know if that would be appropriate.

    Many thanks for any suggestions about this.

    Lawrence
    lflj@intrex.net

    What would the modern-day equivalents be of the above listed oils or where would I go to find that information?
  3. #3
    metlmunchr is offline Diamond
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Asheville NC USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3377
    Likes (Received)
    2962

    Gargoyle is now Mobil. Mobil markets some refrigeration oils under the Gargoyle name, but I read somewhere (possibly a steam engine site) in the past that whoever it was that originally used the Gargoyle name was eventually acquired by Mobil. I think DTE Light is Mobil's ISO 32 hydraulic oil. Personally I can't see any reason why your universal tractor hydraulic oil wouldn't work fine. IIRC its an ISO 32 oil with the addition of some friction modifiers that benefit the friction material in wet clutches, but other than that, about the same thing as the 32 hydraulic oil.

    Don't know whether its still the case or not, but as of a few years ago both Caterpillar and Grove (largest maker of hydraulic cranes) each had about a quarter page of specs and brands of acceptable hydraulic oils, and both concluded their oil spec by saying SAE 10 wt NON-DETERGENT motor oil was fine too for use in their systems.
  4. #4
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    I think DTE Light is Mobil's ISO 32 hydraulic oil. Personally I can't see any reason why your universal tractor hydraulic oil wouldn't work fine. IIRC its an ISO 32 oil with the addition of some friction modifiers that benefit the friction material in wet clutches, but other than that, about the same thing as the 32 hydraulic oil.

    Don't know whether its still the case or not, but as of a few years ago both Caterpillar and Grove (largest maker of hydraulic cranes) each had about a quarter page of specs and brands of acceptable hydraulic oils, and both concluded their oil spec by saying SAE 10 wt NON-DETERGENT motor oil was fine too for use in their systems.
    Thanks a bunch. mebfab suggested hydroil too but I just wanted to make sure.
    New Holland uses ND motor oil in the hydraulics/hydrostatic drives systems in their loaders so that backs you up on that point.

    I'll go ahead and use the hydroil.

    Another question:
    There are 4 sets of holes, each for pins to hold the platform at the desired height. Only two were there when the machine arrived. I was thinking it would always be a good idea to use 4 pins rather than just the two I currently have.
    I was actually going to use 2 grade 5 bolts with nuts for the extra two as the frame torques a bit from age and wear during use.

    Thanks again for the response.

    LL
    Chapel Hill
  5. #5
    metlmunchr is offline Diamond
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Asheville NC USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3377
    Likes (Received)
    2962

    I'd add the other 2 pins too. I've got an 80 ton Nugier shop press and back when I got it there were only 3 of the 4 pins. I made one up for the 4th hole just to be safe.

    If yours is air over hydraulic you might want to clean and flush the system out too. Mine started leaking past the ram seal a while back. Got a kit for it and when I tore it down it had the awful-est mess of glop in it imaginable. It uses shop air pressure on the top of the oil reservoir as a rapid down and then uses the pressure intensifier to jack up the force. I think the shop air on the oil reservoir over the years had deposited a lot of water in the oil. Nothing rusty though, but man what a mess to clean out.

  6. #6
    johncollins is offline Aluminum
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alpine, TX
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Hydraulic oil

    I think the tractor hydraulic you have would be just fine, I use it for all the hydraulic fluid needs that I have ( jacks, press, backhoe, motorcycle chaincase, etc)

    John C
  7. #7
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by johncollins View Post
    I think the tractor hydraulic you have would be just fine, I use it for all the hydraulic fluid needs that I have ( jacks, press, backhoe, motorcycle chaincase, etc)

    John C
    I'll use the hydroil then. Thanks for the feedback, John.
    I Googled ISO32 hydraulic oil and found this product (in an affordable size) at Grainger:

    Oil,Hydraulic, 1qt
    Premium Hydraulic Oil, SAE Grade 10, ISO Viscosity Grade 32, Viscosity SUS @ 100 Degrees Fahrenheit 165, Flash Point 395 Degrees Fahrenheit, Pour Point -10 Degrees Fahrenheit, Container Size 1 Quarts, Product Head DTE 24
    Grainger Item # 4ZF32
    Price (ea.) $3.93
    Brand EXXONMOBIL
    Mfr. Model # DTE 24

    Clearance Item Clearance Item

    Item Premium Hydraulic Oil
    Product Head DTE 24
    Size 1 Quart
    SAE Grade 10
    ISO Viscosity Grade 32
    Viscosity (SUS @ 100 F) 165
    Flash Point (F) 395
    Pour Point (F) -10
    Application For High Pressure Systems, Systems with Servo Valves, NC Control Mechanisms and all Robotics, Industrial, Marine, Mobile Service Hydraulic Equipment, Hand and Power Operated Jacks, Scissor Jacks and Hand Pumps
    Standards Dension HF-O, Vickers V-104C and 35VQ25 and Sundstrand Pump Tests

    record length url probably won't work...
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...32,%20Viscosit
  8. #8
    LFLondon's Avatar
    LFLondon is offline Hot Rolled
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by metlmunchr View Post
    I'd add the other 2 pins too. I've got an 80 ton Nugier shop press and back when I got it there were only 3 of the 4 pins. I made one up for the 4th hole just to be safe.
    I will do that. Probably will use bolts which will tighten up the frame and add rigidity.

    If yours is air over hydraulic you might want to clean and flush the system out too. Mine started leaking past the ram seal a while back. Got a kit for it and when I tore it down it had the awful-est mess of glop in it imaginable. It uses shop air pressure on the top of the oil reservoir as a rapid down and then uses the pressure intensifier to jack up the force. I think the shop air on the oil reservoir over the years had deposited a lot of water in the oil. Nothing rusty though, but man what a mess to clean out.
    Mine is not air over hydraulics but it still may need cleaning. Thanks for the help.

    LL

  • [machinist] I need hydraulic fluid recommendation for Lempco hydraulic press - tnx in advance, Lawrence London, 03/23/2018